By Mark Rountree
Safe and sound, and admittedly lucky, former Enid News -- Eagle sports writer David Purdum is alive and well in Atlanta.
Until recently, Purdum worked as the sports editor at the Slidell (La.) Sentry News, which now is, like much of the city, under water, thanks to Hurricane Katrina.
Purdum, who lived in New Orleans in an apartment one mile from the Superdome, left town the night before the storm made landfall. He rode out Katrina in Oakdale, La., and later spent a week in Enid.
"I'm lucky, to be honest,'' said Purdum, who returned to Enid with his computer, his golf clubs and a bag of clothes, which was all he had left after the storm.
Purdum will continue work with his football preview Web site from his new home in Atlanta, where he figures to stay with friends for the immediate future.
"I'd like to go back to New Orleans some day,'' said Purdum.
Purdum, an avid Saints fan, got some good news Sunday when New Orleans beat Carolina in the season opener.
Rountree is the sports editor of the News -- Eagle.
By Mark Rountree
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
The services celebrating and honoring the life of Evander Evans Chambers III, of Enid, are pending under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences and special memories may be shared with the family online at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
The graveside memorial services Honoring Phillip Semrad, of Waukomis, will be held 10:00 a.m. Saturday, October 2, 2021, in the Waukomis Cemetery under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences may be shared with the family at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
The Memorial service celebrating and honoring the life of Toren Foster, Enid, will be held 10:00 a.m. Monday, September 27, 2021, in the Emmanuel Enid Church. Condolences and special memories may be shared with the family at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
The services celebrating and honoring the life of Ralph Krehbiel, 70, of Enid, will be held 10:00 a.m. Friday, September 24, 2021, in the Crosspoint Church. Condolences and special memories may be shared at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
- Letter from former hotel owner's attorney hints at possible lawsuit against city
- Enid News & Eagle Readers Choice winners for 2021
- ‘Capturing verbatim’: Court reporters serve important role in judicial system
- Commission doesn't take action on downtown work after receiving letter over Christmas event
- Public arts commission passes on prairie fence proposal, for now
- State prisons on lockdown after gang-related violence
- UPDATED: Earthquakes rattle area around Salt Plains Lake
- Meeks continuing to make impact despite shoulder surgeries
- City proposing making Park block a First Amendment public forum, in counter to letter
- OSDH: Garfield County gains 250 new COVID-19 cases as 5 Northwest Oklahoma deaths reported