Conditions looked worse for the girls’ game, but Tuesday night at D. Bruce Selby Stadium could have been titled “The World’s Largest Slip ’N Slide.”

The action was nothing less than intense.

Rainy weather made for a wet, muddy, swamp-like Plainsmen Field — the site of an Enid soccer split with Putnam City that saw both games go through two overtime periods and penalty kick shootouts.

After being tied at 2-2 through two overtimes, the Plainsmen fell 5-3 on penalty kicks, and the Pacers stayed at a scoreless tie through regulation and two extra periods before winning 3-2 in a penalty-kick shootout.

Changing directions Tuesday, players frequently skidded several feet to a stop, and many fell into the large mud puddles of Plainsmen Field that had soaked into the ground by the time the boys’ game began.

Overcoming the elements, Pacers goalkeeper Sarah Torres had 12 saves in the game, and the last three may have been the biggest.

After going scoreless in regulation and two overtime periods, the game came down to penalty kicks.

Putnam City led 2-1 after the first four kicks, but Torres blocked the next three and Bailey Buckley knocked in the game winner when her shot to the right side of the goal left Putnam City’s goalkeeper unable to react.

The wet, muddy conditions left it difficult for players to get traction all night, and it was no different during the shootout.

Torres slipped on Putnam City’s second goal, and Putnam City’s goalie didn’t even move on Enid’s three goals.

But after Putnam City made its first two goals, Torres blocked the next shot with both hands and made diving stops to the left side of the goal on the next two attempts.

Putnam City almost won the game with 11 minutes to play in regulation, but a goal was called back for an offsides infraction.

The Pacers also had a golden opportunity in regulation, and another in the second overtime, to win the game 1-0, but the field conditions acted as extra defenders.

With less than 10 minutes to play in the first half, Enid midfielder Emily Herron had only the goalkeeper to beat, but she slipped in the penalty box, nearly fell and her shot went wide right and harmlessly out of bounds.

Then, with about 5 minutes left in second overtime, Brenda Villareal had a one-on-one opportunity with the goalie after a defender slid to the turf, but she slipped, and her shot went wide right.

The conditions were so wet Enid midfielder Jami Frazer wrung out her shorts after coming to the sidelines for a breather late in the first half.


Putnam City midfielder Jaime Garcia had a message for the Enid fans and bench Tuesday.

After scoring in a penalty kick shootout to give the Pirates a two-goal advantage, he pulled off his jersey, ran past the Enid bench and fans, raised his arms and smiled and said something as he passed.

Despite the show of unsportsmanlike conduct, Garcia was not carded or reprimanded by officials.

Then, after Enid’s Kee Hin Lee cut that advantage to one with his penalty kick, Jake Prescott backed up his teammate’s actions with a goal of his own for the win.

On a muddy field in what had calmed to a mist, the Plainsmen struck first in regulation with a penalty kick by Eddie Ramirez about 20 minutes into the first half.

Putnam City answered about 11/2 minutes later, on a goal by Zach Dannis.

Putnam City almost took a 2-1 lead just 3 minutes later, but Pontious blocked a penalty kick by Prescott for one his nine saves.

About 10 minutes before halftime, the Plainsmen took a 2-1 lead when Mata got the rebound off a Putnam City defender’s deflection in the goalie box and slipped the ball into the left side of the goal just past the goalkeeper.

The Pirates tied the game with the only goal of the second half, a kick from 15 yards by Prescott.

Each team had opportunities to end the game before the shootout but just missed.

In the final minute of regulation, Lee took a hard shot from about 10 yards out that bounced off the goalkeeper. Ramirez was right there for the rebound, but his shot attempt was corralled by the keeper and the game went to overtime.

Lee also had a shot midway through the first overtime, but his kick bounced off the left goalpost, ending a threat by Enid that saw several shot attempts.

Four minutes later, Putnam City had a hard shot bounce off the crossbar, and the rebound shot sailed wide.

Neither team took a shot in the second overtime, forcing the shootout.

NOTES: Enid’s games against Owasso have been rescheduled for Monday. It will be Senior Night, and will begin with the junior varsity games at 4:30 p.m., followed by the varsity girls at 6 and the varsity boys at 8. The Enid boys fell to 4-6 and the girls improved to 4-4.

React to this story:


Recommended for you