By Mark Rountree
Two Haymakers are back in the news.
Former Hennessey product Drew Haymaker has orally committed to play basketball at Central Arkansas, which is coached by former Phillips University Haymaker coach Rand Chappell.
Local basketball fans will remember the 6-foot-8 Haymaker, a highly-touted junior high player in Hennessey before he moved to Edmond Santa Fe.
Local fans also will remember Chappell, who was at the helm of some of the most successful seasons in Phillips history.
In 1998, just months before the school closed forever, the Haymakers were ranked No. 1 in the NAIA polls. Chappell coached the Haymakers for three seasons and went to two national tournaments.
"It doesn't get much funner than that,'' said the 42-year-old Chappell. "The Mabee Center was a pretty rocking place to be. I remember four or six times, the gym was so packed, the fire marshal came out and wouldn't let anybody else in."'
One of the standouts on Phillips' last team was All-American Joe Bunn, who still is playing professionally overseas.
"I've coached for seven years since then, and Joe still is the best player I've ever coached,'' said Chappell, who has coached at Henderson (Ark.) State and Central Arkansas since his Phillips days.
Fans who want to see Chappell will get a chance Nov. 22 when his Central Arkansas team travels to Weatherford to play Southwestern Oklahoma State.
Rountree is the News -- Eagle sports editor
By Mark Rountree
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
GRAPEVINE, Texas - The memorial service that had been scheduled for Friday for Barla Casey has been canceled due to weather and travel conditions. The event will be rescheduled, according to family.
LAHOMA [mdash] Graveside services for Barbara Bergdall Gabric, 84 of Lahoma will be Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:00 pm in Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Meno. Arrangements by Anderson-Burris Funeral Home. Memorials-United Church of Lahoma.
ENID [mdash] The services celebrating and honoring the life of James Berry, 77, of Enid, are pending under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at WWW.Brown-Cummings.com
- UPDATED: Icy conditions cause fatal accident in Major County
- Suspects in drive-by shootings arrested
- State Question 805: Pros, cons weighed
- UPDATED: Autry Tech names new superintendent
- 1,010 new COVID-19 cases, 22 more deaths, including Enid man, reported Tuesday by OSDH
- OSDH: Garfield County, much of state, in moderate COVID-19 risk; Enid schools to continue in-person instruction
- Enid, Garfield County remain in White House report's red zone for COVID-19
- OSDH: More than 100,000 Oklahomans have recovered from COVID-19; state gains 663 new cases Monday
- Former inmates look forward to being able to vote
- OSDH: State sets single-day record for new COVID-19 cases at 1,829; 11 deaths, including Enid resident