I am responding to the letter by Eric Rains, printed 06/22/05. Mr. Rains displays little knowledge concerning the country he disdains. Our country was founded on Christian principals and moral standards. He expounds the First Amendment right of free speech, but obviously has not read the 13th Amendment.
Laws governing obscenity are censorship. As a member of a free society, governed by the majority, we have the right for our families to be protected from obscenity, theft, murder....etc. Laws censor these.
He somehow distinguishes the loss of life from and atomic bomb as more hideous than the lives lost at Pearl Harbor. After the loss of millions of lives around the world, America took extraordinary measures to end it. It was terrible. It also protected us from further attacks. The best of this country have always been ready to defend her. She is worth defending.
In many other countries of the world, Mr. Rains would be in prison or dead for his words. I doubt Mr. Rains has given anything, but thousands of moral Americans have died for his "rights."
He also despises religion, calling it useless and intolerant. The Bible has never been discredited. It does not condone slavery or the subjugation of women. He has evidently never read it.
The God he calls intolerant, tell us He loves all of His children ? even Mr. Rains. As for Christianity having no place in our schools; When I was in school, we saluted our flag, displayed the Ten Commandments and prayed. We didn't need metal detectors.
Our "intolerant" God hates ALL sin. He knows what it does to destroy His children. Not believing in God's existence does not change His reality. He gives every one of us a choice. Mr. Rains has obviously made his.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
Burial, Friday, December 10, 2021, 10:00 a.m. at Pleasant Ridge Cemetery. Memorial service will follow at 11:00 a.m. at Aline First Christian Church. Arrangements-Lanman Funeral Home, Inc., Helena. Viewing-Thursday 12:00-6:00 .www.lanmanmemorials.com Facebook: Lanman Funeral Home Inc.
The services celebrating and honoring the life of Steve Vernon Reeves, 55, of Enid, formerly of Muskogee, are pending under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences may be shared with the family online at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
The services celebrating and honoring the life of Loren Foster, 79, of Enid, are pending under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences may be shared with the family online at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
- Chisholm faces kindergarten teacher shortage after 2 resign the same day
- Top portion of downtown Christ Tree breaks off as high winds blow through area
- Downtown Christmas tree still the world's tallest after 27 feet broken off, organizers say
- Bob Dole to lie in state at Capitol as nation honors senator
- 'Someone needs the money': Candy Cane Cash draws crowd to Chisholm Trail Expo Center
- Welsh expected to step down as Longhorns head coach
- Osage Co. landowner's attorneys question need for Enid's planned water pipeline in condemnation hearings
- Riesen to be inducted into OBCA Hall of Fame
- Osage County landowner objecting to Kaw Lake condemnation award in Thursday hearing
- Breaking: Sooners finalizing deal with Brent Venables to become new head coach