ENID, Okla. — Northwest Oklahoma missed the heavy snow and icy weather that moved across a large swath of southwestern, central and northeastern parts of the state Tuesday evening and overnight into Wednesday.
Enid received a dusting of snow, and while most of the state was under a winter storm watch or warning, those counties did not include all of northwestern and far southeastern Oklahoma.
Many, but not all, of Enid and area schools, churches and organizations did cancel classes and activities Wednesday, however, due to winter conditions.
The National Weather Service forecast the high temperature to hover around the freezing mark, and north wind at 10-14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph, was making it feel as if the temperature were in the teens, according to the Mesonet weather recording site at Breckinridge.
Late in the morning, the NWS reported a second wave of snow could fall Wednesday afternoon or evening additional to snow already accumulated. Enid was forecast to receive less than an inch should snow fall.
Otherwise, skies will remain mostly cloudy with a low around 19 and light north wind, according to NWS.
Thursday’s NWS forecast calls for skies to become partly cloudy with a high near 44 and light northwest wind turning south in the afternoon. High temperatures will be close to 50 Friday and Saturday and in the mid-50s by Sunday, according to the NWS.
Local and area closings:
• Autry Technology Center
• Canton Public Schools, open at 9:30 a.m.
• Cashion Public Schools
• Chisholm Public Schools
• Cimarron Public Schools and activities
• Covington-Douglas Public Schols
• Crescent Public Schools and activities
• Dover Public Schools
• Drummond Public Schools
• First Baptist Church in Enid, day classes canceled
• First Baptist Church in Watonga and activities
• Garber Public Schools
• Geary Public Schools and activities
• Kingfisher Public Schools and activities
• Lomega Public Schools
• Mulhall-Orlando Public Schools
• Northern Oklahoma College, Enid, Tonkawa and Stillwater campuses, and activities
• Oakwood Christian Church activities
• Okarche Public Schools and activities
• Pioneer-Pleasant Vale Public Schools and activities
• Red Rock BHS, Kingfisher and Watonga
• Saint Joseph Catholic School, Enid
• Saint Paul's Lutheran School, Enid
• Saints Peter and Paul, Kingfisher
• Thomas-Fay-Custer Public Schools and activities
• Timberlake Public Schools and activities
• Vance Air Force Base, two-hour delay of operations, report at 9:30 a.m., flying expected to resume after noon.
• Watonga Public Schools
• Waukomis Public Schools
• Youth and Family Services of North Central Oklahoma