Staff Writer

Enid Police have made an arrest in relation to a May 5 fight that left a man in critical condition with a severe brain stem injury.

Ty Ryan Hiatt, 21, of Enid, was charged in Garfield County District Court Monday with a felony count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Police believe Hiatt is one of at least two men who severely beat Judson Heinlein, 32, during an altercation in the parking lot of Krazy K?s Place, 415 S. Van Buren, around 1:30 a.m. May 5.

According to court documents, Hiatt?s charge included ?with a dangerous weapon? because he had kicked another man with his shoes ?not dangerous weapons per se, but used in a manner likely to cause great bodily injury ... .?

Hiatt faces up to 10 years imprisonment or one year in county jail if found guilty of the charge.

Special District Judge J. Bruce Harvey set bail for Hiatt at $10,000 and ordered him to appear in court today at 2 p.m. for possible misdemeanor charges, which led to his initial arrest.

Hiatt had bailed out of jail for $1,500 during the weekend on possible possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia and driving while under the influence charges.

According to an affidavit, Heinlein initially was transported to Integris Bass Baptist Health Center by private vehicle for treatment, and later was transferred to St. Mary?s Regional Medical Center suffering from major head and upper-body injuries.

On May 5, officers arrived at the Bass emergency room on a call of assault and saw Heinlein and ?noticed him to be moving his arms and legs back and forth considerably? and had ?dried blood around both nostrils ... and around both ears.?

Detectives also noticed a bare spot behind Heinlein?s left ear, which had a star-shaped cut.

Detectives began interviewing witnesses at the hospital and received varied versions of the same story, but most included a fight had broken out and Heinlein had repeatedly been beaten while on the ground, and possibly while unconscious, the affidavit states.

Police have been told by at least four witnesses Hiatt had struck Heinlein on the head with his cast.

Other witnesses interviewed corroborated the story of Heinlein being knocked to the ground and being repeatedly kicked, and possibly repeatedly punched.

According to the affidavit, police interviewed Heinlein July 19 and he did not remember what happened or know who was responsible for his injuries.

Heinlein had been placed on a respirator soon after he was admitted to the hospital for injures sustained during the fight.

It was not until June 8 that Heinlein was able to communicate with hospital staff and answer questions, according to court documents.

Doctors have told police the extent of Heinlein?s recovery is still unknown.


React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you