The 14 volunteers of the Lahoma Fire Department hope to have a particularly good Christmas this year. They hope to have their new building completed by then.
Garfield County Commis-sioners approved bids for the fire station during their meeting Monday morning.
The building is planned to be 50 x 150 feet with a classroom on one end and five equipment bays on the other, Fire Chief David Wedel said.
The anticipated cost is between $179,000 and $220,000, based on costs of fire stations built at Drum-mond and Garber, he said.
?We?re looking at something in that neighborhood, we went by their specs,? he said.
However, fuel costs could bring the price up.
The department currently is using space beside the town hall with four bays, and Wedel said they have run out of room.
?We don?t even have room to work on the trucks when we need to,? he said.
The all-volunteer department has six trucks ? two engines, two grass rigs, a tanker and a rescue truck.
The grass rigs will be ?double stacked? in one bay because they are small enough to fit in.
The oldest truck is a 2003 F650 tanker, Wedel said.
Lahoma receives funding from the county fire sales tax.
The Lahoma department responds five miles each direction from the city limits. They also assist other departments if there is a mutual aid agreement.
When the new fire station is completed an open house is planned.
?We hope to have it by Christmas,? he said.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
The Homegoing Services Celebrating the life of Inez Phillips, 86, will be held 11:00 A.M. Saturday May 15 in the First Missionary Baptist Church under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences may be shared online at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
ENID A Private Family Graveside for Bruce L Simon is Friday at Memorial Park Cemetery. A reception for family and friends will be at the Groendyke Lodge, 2:30 pm Friday. Arrangements are by Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home.
OKLAHOMA CITY Service for Tyler Swinea, age 35, of Oklahoma City is 2:00 p.m. Thursday, May 13, 2021, at Emmanuel Enid. Visitation is Wednesday 6-7:00 p.m. at the funeral home. Arrangements by Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home.
- Enid woman dies in Tuesday morning crash
- Cleo Springs man killed in motorcycle accident
- Woodward man dies in motorcycle accident in Oklahoma panhandle
- EPD arrests theft, burglary suspect
- Former NOC professor faces up to life on rape charge
- Kingfisher hires new superintendent following 'extensive' search
- 3 injured in 2-vehicle accident west of Enid
- Shooter in Northeast Oklahoma handed over to feds due to McGirt ruling
- Men slip on high heels to bring awareness to violence against women
- OU football: Felony arrest warrants issued for Trejan Bridges, Seth McGowan