The 14 volunteers of the Lahoma Fire Department hope to have a particularly good Christmas this year. They hope to have their new building completed by then.
Garfield County Commis-sioners approved bids for the fire station during their meeting Monday morning.
The building is planned to be 50 x 150 feet with a classroom on one end and five equipment bays on the other, Fire Chief David Wedel said.
The anticipated cost is between $179,000 and $220,000, based on costs of fire stations built at Drum-mond and Garber, he said.
?We?re looking at something in that neighborhood, we went by their specs,? he said.
However, fuel costs could bring the price up.
The department currently is using space beside the town hall with four bays, and Wedel said they have run out of room.
?We don?t even have room to work on the trucks when we need to,? he said.
The all-volunteer department has six trucks ? two engines, two grass rigs, a tanker and a rescue truck.
The grass rigs will be ?double stacked? in one bay because they are small enough to fit in.
The oldest truck is a 2003 F650 tanker, Wedel said.
Lahoma receives funding from the county fire sales tax.
The Lahoma department responds five miles each direction from the city limits. They also assist other departments if there is a mutual aid agreement.
When the new fire station is completed an open house is planned.
?We hope to have it by Christmas,? he said.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
The Service celebrating and honoring the life of Thomas "Tommy" Crawford, 74, of Enid are pending under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences and special memories may be made to the family online at WWW.Brown-Cummings.Com
ENID — Celebration of life service for Richard Leroy Wood will be 10:00 a.m. Wednesday at Anderson-Burris Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Memorial Park Cemetery. Richard was born 5/28/1932 and passed away on 6/12/2021. www.andersonburris.com
OCTOBER 25, 1926 - JUNE 9, 2021 CANTON — Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday, June 15, 2021, at Canton Christian Church, with burial at Munice Cemetery. Condolences may be made online at www.piercefuneralhomes.com.
- New Enid meat company to build facility; county industrial park projects fully funded
- Enid man receives 20 years, 3 partially suspended life sentences for child sex crimes
- 'I’m not giving up on my husband': Vance airman survives COVID-19 with wife fighting for, supporting him
- 3 injured when car, motorcycle collide Sunday in Blaine County
- Drummond names Kokojan, Vestal as basketball coaches
- Hillsdale man injured when motorcycle collides with deer
- ERDA board seeks incentive to fill space in old Kmart building
- Garfield County undersheriff resigns from position
- EPD sergeant suspended after Friday morning arrest
- EPD swears in 3 officers