The 14 volunteers of the Lahoma Fire Department hope to have a particularly good Christmas this year. They hope to have their new building completed by then.
Garfield County Commis-sioners approved bids for the fire station during their meeting Monday morning.
The building is planned to be 50 x 150 feet with a classroom on one end and five equipment bays on the other, Fire Chief David Wedel said.
The anticipated cost is between $179,000 and $220,000, based on costs of fire stations built at Drum-mond and Garber, he said.
?We?re looking at something in that neighborhood, we went by their specs,? he said.
However, fuel costs could bring the price up.
The department currently is using space beside the town hall with four bays, and Wedel said they have run out of room.
?We don?t even have room to work on the trucks when we need to,? he said.
The all-volunteer department has six trucks ? two engines, two grass rigs, a tanker and a rescue truck.
The grass rigs will be ?double stacked? in one bay because they are small enough to fit in.
The oldest truck is a 2003 F650 tanker, Wedel said.
Lahoma receives funding from the county fire sales tax.
The Lahoma department responds five miles each direction from the city limits. They also assist other departments if there is a mutual aid agreement.
When the new fire station is completed an open house is planned.
?We hope to have it by Christmas,? he said.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
The services celebrating the life of Donna Messall, 92, will be 10:00 a.m. Friday July 30, 2021, in the Brown-Cummings Funeral Home Chapel, under the direction of Brown-Cummings Funeral Home. Condolences may be shared online at www.Brown-Cummings.com.
Graveside Services for Gretta Vonne Howerton, 92, of Fairfield, Texas, formerly of Fairview, will be at 11:00 a.m. Friday, July 30, 2021, at the Fairview Cemetery, Fairview, Oklahoma. Arrangements are by Fairview Funeral Home, Inc.
Funeral services for Larry Morgan, 75-year-old Enid resident, will be 3:30 p.m. Friday, July 30, 2021, in the Henninger-Hinson Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Memorial Park Cemetery. Mr. Morgan passed away July 26, 2021. www.enidwecare.com
- 140-foot-tall Christmas tree coming to Enid for new 42-day holiday event
- ‘This is one of the best days of my life’: Outlaws win TBL championship in inaugural season
- Woman accused of embezzling more than $300,000 from cemetery pleads guilty
- Fire department chief announces retirement
- Enid Freedom Fighters celebrate a year of having 'a voice' in community
- OSDH: State gains 1,203 COVID-19 cases in single day
- Biles withdraws from gymnastics final to protect team, self
- OU, Texas officially announce they will not renew with Big 12
- UPDATED: Woman wanted in connection with murder arrested, children found safe after Amber Alert
- Former Watonga police chief faces criminal charges