The 14 volunteers of the Lahoma Fire Department hope to have a particularly good Christmas this year. They hope to have their new building completed by then.
Garfield County Commis-sioners approved bids for the fire station during their meeting Monday morning.
The building is planned to be 50 x 150 feet with a classroom on one end and five equipment bays on the other, Fire Chief David Wedel said.
The anticipated cost is between $179,000 and $220,000, based on costs of fire stations built at Drum-mond and Garber, he said.
?We?re looking at something in that neighborhood, we went by their specs,? he said.
However, fuel costs could bring the price up.
The department currently is using space beside the town hall with four bays, and Wedel said they have run out of room.
?We don?t even have room to work on the trucks when we need to,? he said.
The all-volunteer department has six trucks ? two engines, two grass rigs, a tanker and a rescue truck.
The grass rigs will be ?double stacked? in one bay because they are small enough to fit in.
The oldest truck is a 2003 F650 tanker, Wedel said.
Lahoma receives funding from the county fire sales tax.
The Lahoma department responds five miles each direction from the city limits. They also assist other departments if there is a mutual aid agreement.
When the new fire station is completed an open house is planned.
?We hope to have it by Christmas,? he said.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
January 26, 1956 - April 30, 2021 A Celebration of Life for Nora Jean Sturgeon will be 10:30 a.m., Saturday, May 15, 2021, at Community Bible Church of Lahoma. A luncheon will follow the service. Obituary is courtesy of Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home. Nora Jean Sturgeon went to her heavenly home…
HUNTER [mdash] Funeral Services for Howard Leon Kitchen, Jr., 72, Hunter, are 2:00 pm, Monday, May 10, 2021 at Ladusau-Evans. Visitation is Sunday, May 9th, from 2:00-4:00 pm at the funeral home. Condolences to www.ladusauevans.com.
1948 - 2021: Funeral services will be held at 10 :00 a.m., Friday, May 7, 2021, at the Longdale Baptist Church, Longdale, OK. Interment will be at 2 p.m. at Thomas Cemetery, Thomas, OK. Condolences at www.piercefuneralhomes.com.
- UPDATED: Former NOC professor charged with rape
- 3 injured in 2-vehicle accident west of Enid
- Major County authorities seek information on missing youths
- Enid preparing for historic night
- OBA students recognized for arts excellence, as program continues to showcase young talent
- OSU scientists make wheat gene discovery
- Designer, volunteers finish 2nd of 4 'pop-up' crosswalk murals in downtown Enid
- Enid woman injured in Sunday afternoon accident
- Wells remembered for passion for golf and flying
- Former NOC professor faces up to life on rape charge