The 14 volunteers of the Lahoma Fire Department hope to have a particularly good Christmas this year. They hope to have their new building completed by then.
Garfield County Commis-sioners approved bids for the fire station during their meeting Monday morning.
The building is planned to be 50 x 150 feet with a classroom on one end and five equipment bays on the other, Fire Chief David Wedel said.
The anticipated cost is between $179,000 and $220,000, based on costs of fire stations built at Drum-mond and Garber, he said.
?We?re looking at something in that neighborhood, we went by their specs,? he said.
However, fuel costs could bring the price up.
The department currently is using space beside the town hall with four bays, and Wedel said they have run out of room.
?We don?t even have room to work on the trucks when we need to,? he said.
The all-volunteer department has six trucks ? two engines, two grass rigs, a tanker and a rescue truck.
The grass rigs will be ?double stacked? in one bay because they are small enough to fit in.
The oldest truck is a 2003 F650 tanker, Wedel said.
Lahoma receives funding from the county fire sales tax.
The Lahoma department responds five miles each direction from the city limits. They also assist other departments if there is a mutual aid agreement.
When the new fire station is completed an open house is planned.
?We hope to have it by Christmas,? he said.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
ENID - Graveside service for Joyce Elaine (Davidson) Fuller will held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020, under the direction of Henninger-Hinson Funeral Home, at Memorial Park Cemetery, Enid, Okla. Joyce passed Nov. 22, 2020. www.enidwecare.com
CARRIER - Celebration of life 11 a.m. Nov. 25, 2020, Your Family Church, Johnie Rauschenberg and David Bingham officiating. Under direction of Amy Stittsworth Funeral Service. Donations may be made to Wounded Warrior Foundation. Remembrances at www.stittsworthfuneralservices.com.
ENID - A celebration of life service for Freddy, 51, will be 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020, Stittsworth Memory Chapel, Pastor David Jones officiating. Arrangements under the kind guidance of the Amy Stittsworth Funeral Service. www.stittsworthfuneralservices.com.
ENID - A Service for Richard A. Patton, age 84, will be 10 a.m. Wednesday at Calvary Baptist Church. Burial will follow in the Memorial Park Cemetery under the direction of Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home.
- Without city action on virus, health care officials say system will be 'overwhelmed'
- City commissioner calls Enid's inaction over COVID-19 'an embarrassment'
- Ezzell's recall election will proceed as planned on Feb. 9, judge rules
- EPS extends distance learning as state tops average 72 new COVID-19 cases per day
- OSDH: 3,017 new COVID-19 cases, 26 more deaths in Oklahoma
- Woods named district coach of the year; 12 Plainsmen players also recognized
- Cornish-Pitman returning to Garfield County as undersheriff
- OSDH: Oklahoma gains 3,406 COVID-19 cases, 64 in Garfield County, 10 more deaths
- OSDH: State sees 3,663 new cases, 66 in Garfield County; 21 more deaths in Oklahoma
- City to host drive-through Christmas in the Park beginning Nov. 28