Hoover Elementary School

Hoover Elementary School

ENID, Okla. — Hoover Elementary School briefly evacuated Monday morning after smoke was reported coming from a vent near the cafeteria, Enid Public Schools said in a public statement to parents on its website.

The smoke was caused by an overhead bathroom exhaust fan that had overheated, district head of communications Amber Fitzgerald said. A custodian noticed the smoke and sprayed the fan with a fire extinguisher. Damage was limited to three bathroom ceiling tiles, she said.

Firefighters responded, "determined the situation is safe, and they have given all students and staff permission to return to areas of the building that were not affected by the smoke," EPS said, adding the school day was able to continue.

"Nothing is more important than the safety of our students and staff, and we are extremely grateful to the Enid Fire Department for assisting us during this morning’s urgent situation," the release states.

Click for the latest, full-access Enid News & Eagle headlines | Text Alerts | app downloads

Willetts is education and city reporter for the Enid News & Eagle.
Have a question about this story? Do you see something we missed? Do you have a story idea for Mitchell? Send an email to mwilletts@enidnews.com.

React to this story:

1
0
3
0
0

Recommended for you