ENID, Okla. — A man suspected of making a series of fake bomb threats against Enid businesses in October did so from behind bars, according to Enid Police Department.
The department announced Tuesday it had identified 31-year-old David Ray Gutierrez as the suspected hoaxer, having made the calls from a cellphone at Davis Correctional Facility in Holdenville, where he is doing time for a 2008 drive by shooting in Enid.
Oakwood Mall, Walmart Supercenter and Walmart Neighborhood Market were evacuated in response to threats made Oct. 21 and 22.
"The caller identified himself by name as an Enid man during most of the phone calls, and on one occasion referenced the man’s name in the third person," EPD said.
The department contacted the Enid man named in the phone call and was able to eliminate him as a suspect. However, police learned a female friend of the man was in contact with Gutierrez, and that the woman and Gutierrez had spoken on the phone recently.
Despite being incarcerated, Gutierrez "frequently" used a cell phone to contact her, the woman told EPD.
During that recent phone call, Gutierrez "became upset" after hearing that the woman and the Enid man had plans to go shopping together at Oakwood Mall, according to police.
The first bomb threat was made just over an hour after Gutierrez' phone call with the woman.
"The woman said she spoke to David again the following morning and he referenced the bomb threats in Enid," police said. "The woman also said that David had previously threatened to call her employer and tell them that she was bringing a bomb to work in order to get her in trouble."
After playing a recording of one of the bomb threats, the man and woman both identified the voice as that of Gutierrez, police said.
Gutierrez was searched by prison officials and a cell phone was found, according to EPD. The department has submitted three felony charges, one for each threat, to the district attorney's office.
"A warrant for arrest is expected soon," EPD said.