ENID, Okla. — A Saturday night house fire officials believe was started by lightning and accelerated by natural gas likely has destroyed an Enid home, according to Fire Marshal Ken Helms.

Firefighters received a call at 11:50 p.m. from the home at 4813 Oakcrest regarding an unusual odor, Helms said. The caller suspecting the home may have been struck by lightning. The arriving unit saw smoke coming from the roof and immediately called for backup.

While battling the blaze, a garage door fell on several firefighters, but there were no serious injuries, Helms said. The occupants of the home, three adults and three pets, were able to make it out unharmed, he said. 

Crews worked into the early morning hours Sunday to put out the blaze, he said, with some firefighters remaining on scene until well after 3 a.m.

"We believe that natural gas or a natural gas leak contributed to the spread of the fire," he said.

Much of the roof and most of the ceiling was destroyed in the fire, and all of the ceilings in the home have collapsed, Helms said, adding the home is likely a total loss.

A damage estimate of $275,000 was listed on the report, with $200,000 for the property and $75,000 for the contents.

Click for the latest, full-access Enid News & Eagle headlines | Text Alerts | app downloads

Willetts is education reporter for the Enid News & Eagle. He can be reached at mwilletts@enidnews.com.

React to this story:

0
2
0
14
1

Recommended for you