By Chris Dell Staff Writer
The Oklahoma Ultimates of Edmond lived up to its name Sunday at the State Junior Olympic Girls 18-under Fast Pitch Softball Tournament at Government Springs Park.
The Ultimates came back from a 2-1 loss in the first championship game of the double-elimination tournament to beat the Jitter Bugs, also of Edmond, 4-3 in the second to take the crown.
"I wasn't scared," said Ultimate coach Adrian Fouck. "I knew that our team could stick with them."
The games had a championship hype since most of the players on both teams came from either Edmond North or Edmond Memorial, who played for the Class 6A state championship last fall.
It would live up to its hype.
Jitter Bugs pitcher Katie Lee, who has signed with the University of Tulsa, threw a three-hitter in the first title game to keep her team alive.
The Ultimates didn't stay down for long.
The Ultimates took the lead for good in the second game, scoring two runs in the first, taking advantage of two wild pitches and an error.
They would also add two more insurance runs in the fifth.
The Jitter Bugs, who won seven straight games to reach the title game after a first-round loss, fell just short in game No. 8.
They took advantage of three Ultimate errors to score three runs in the bottom of the fifth, but left the tying run on first base.
Miranda Brown threw a complete game to pick up the win for the Ultimates.
The Ultimates had reached the finals with a 3-1 win over the Oklahoma Jammers in the winners' bracket finals earlier in the day.
The Jitter Bugs had stayed alive by beating the Ultimate Gold 1-0 in the losers' bracket semifinals and the Jammers 7-0 in the losers' bracket finals.
NWDASA All-Star game tonight
The Northwest District Amateur Softball Association will be holding its youth all-star games tonight at Government Springs Park.
By Chris Dell Staff Writer
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
ENID - The funeral service for Maria Hernandez, 42-year-old Enid resident, will be held at a later date in Mexico. Arrangements are under the direction of Henninger-Hinson Funeral Home.
EDMOND - Funeral services for Christine Louise Jepson, 101, of Edmond, will be 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, December 2, 2020, at Ladusau-Evans Chapel. Burial will follow in Memorial Park Cemetery. Services are under direction of Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home.
- City to consider mask mandate after near-record increases in COVID-19 cases
- Garfield County sees record, single-day increase of COVID-19 cases Monday
- OSDH: 5 more COVID-19 deaths in NWOK: EPS extends distance learning another 2 weeks
- GUEST COLUMN: Holding hands … now
- Parents rally to return to in-person school
- OSDH: Garfield County gains 49 COVID-19 cases; Wakita woman 1 of 15 more deaths in state
- Enid city commissioner appealing judge's recall ruling
- Medical professionals pan plan as ‘insane,’ ‘reckless'
- OSDH: 2-day COVID-19 cases top 6,200 as data catches up from Thanksgiving holiday
- Cornish-Pitman returning to Garfield County as undersheriff