By Robert Barron
How do you figure the costs of building a new fire station? That’s what Fire Chief Phil Clover wants to know.
Clover faced concerns from several city commissioners last week when they tabled an increase in architect Ken Corbin’s fee to reflect the increased cost of the project.
The cost of construction of fire station No. 2 has risen from an estimated $548,000 to more than $1 million.
Ward 2 Commissioner Don Rose expressed concern over the increased cost of the project. The estimate was made in 2001 when the money to build the station was approved by voters as part of a quarter-cent public safety tax.
Clover said a committee, including Rose and Ward 6 Commissioner Todd Ging, will be established to study the costs and possibly find a better way to estimate them.
Rose also opposed construction of a new animal shelter, because the original cost was estimated at $300,000 and the final estimate totaled more than $600,000. He and Ward 5 Commissioner John Hodgden, who also spoke out against the cost of the animal shelter, have asked for further study on the fire station project.
City Planner Chris Bauer, an architect, said the most common method of planning a project is estimating the cost per square foot. However, Bauer said an animal shelter and a fire station are specialized construction and are not subject to the same rules as the types of buildings that are more frequently constructed, such as retail buildings.
Clover said he did a survey of fire stations that have been constructed recently before putting the plans together for the project. Bartlesville built a new fire station in 2002, he said, for about $103 per square foot. Sapulpa completed a fire station recently for $120 per square foot.
Norman opened bids three days before Clover’s Feb. 7 presentation to the city commission, and costs were between $165 and $175 per square foot.
By Robert Barron
- What's 2 Do
- Local news
Drought to continue; may worsen
Garfield, Grant, Kingfisher, Alfalfa and Woods counties are in severe drought, according to U.S. Drought Monitor, as is most of Blaine County.Continued ...
- Medford ISO improves
- NWOSU to dedicate set of markers Saturday
- Bids to be considered for public safety building renovation
- Man arrested for DUI after accident
- Drought to continue; may worsen
- State, national, world
Oklahoma man faces execution Tuesday in 1999 death
Clayton Lockett, 38, was convicted of shooting 19-year-old Stephanie Nieman with a sawed-off shotgun and watching as two accomplices buried her alive in rural Kay County in 1999.Continued ...
- Prizefighter Rubin ’Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Study: Fuels from corn waste not better than gas
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in Colorado
- Oklahoma man faces execution Tuesday in 1999 death
Controlling tempo key for Game 2
Oklahoma City hosts Memphis in Game 2 of a Western Conference quarterfinal NBA playoffs series tonight.Continued ...
- Perseverance paid off for Pacer soccer
- Jets host Connors tonight
- Plainsmen entertain Kelley
- Chisholm to host prep golf tournament
- Controlling tempo key for Game 2
Powermax Equipment’s Fast Fusion MobileFusion Trac 36 gets thumbs up
The product will be called the Fast Fusion MobileFusion Trac 36.Continued ...
- How could they hate Him enough? How could He love them enough?
- ENE editorial: 'I am with you, always'
- Powermax Equipment’s Fast Fusion MobileFusion Trac 36 gets thumbs up
- NDN Videos
- FBI says teen stowed away from California in Hawaiian jet's wheel well Excitement Grows In Boston As Runners Make Final Preparations For Marathon Formally Just A Rally, 4/20 Is Now A Mainstream Festival Ukraine Celebrates Easter Amid Uncertainty
Smartphone kill switches are coming
Smartphones need kill switches. It's a relatively easy solution to the pricey (and irritating) problem of smartphone theft. But who would have thought that the big carriers would team up with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung and lots of other manufacturers to voluntarily begin adding the technology by July 2015? The cooperative spirit! It makes so much sense!
April 18, 2014
- Why do wolves howl?
- Biggest student loan profits come from grad students
- Smartphone kill switches are coming