The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Summer of '68

July 13, 2008

Enid area residents, former residents wax reminiscent about their 1968 experiences


Joy Schweer


Immigrant from England saw police brutality

In 1964, I sailed to America from England with a permanent residential green card visa in my alien pocket, a legal immigrant. In the summer of 1968, I moved back to Chicago from New York City for my second period residency.

I was hired by an import company and worked on the 31st floor of the Equitable Building on Michigan Ave., located near the bridge over the Chicago River, beside the Tribune Tower and across from the Wrigley Building.

When the Democratic Conventional came to town, I was living on the north side, about 30 minutes by city transportation (train or bus) and about two hours by foot. Not having much money, I decided to walk home one evening and my way of choice was through Lincoln Park, which is long and narrow, situated between Broadway and Outer Dr.

On one particular memorable evening, I was walking home in Lincoln Park when I suddenly came face to face with a demonstration that was quelled by a violent force that I can only describe as police brutality.

I witnessed protesters against the war in Vietnam savagely clubbed and sprayed with tear gas by uniformed Chicago police. I later learned some of these pockets of tear gas drifted across the Outer Dr. causing several perilous moments for motorists traveling at 60 mph.

Hugh Hairs


Man walked rice paddies during his summer of ‘68

My summer of 1968 was spent in the rice paddies of Vietnam. I was drafted into the Army Nov. 1, 1967, and spent five months at Fort Polk, La., doing my jungle training at Tiger Land.

On April 15, 1968, I went to Vietnam, landing at Bien Hoa Air Base.

We were trucked to Chu Chi, where our 25th Infantry Division was based. We had five more days of training, and then I was assigned to Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 14th Infantry (Golden Dragons), of the 25th Infantry Division.

Text Only
Summer of '68