Enid News and Eagle
WOODWARD, Okla. —
Defending Class B state runnerup Lomega punched its ticket to the state tournament by beating Shattuck 66-58 in the Area I girls winners bracket finals Friday.
The Lady Raiders will play an Eastern losers bracket champion in the first round of the state tournament Thursday. Taylor Mendell had 22 points to lead Lomega, which is going to state for the third straight year..
Shattuck will play Burlington, a 45-37 winner over Okeene, at 6:30 tonight in the losers bracket finals for another state tournament bid.
• Freshman Kelsi Smith scored 18 points and Sarah Garvie added 16 as Burlington’s girls (27-4) eliminated Okeene 45-37 in a Class B Area I regional losers bracket semifinal. The Lady Elks are within one win of the state tournament for the third straight year.
“We hope the third time is the charm,’’ said Lady Elks coach Krisen Pruett. “
• In boys action, Okeene and Dover will meet in the losers bracket finals at 8 tonight. Dover stayed alive by beating Leedey 62-59 in the losers bracket semifinals, while Okeene fell to No. 1-ranked Forgan 56-50 in the winners bracket finals. This is the furthest Dover has gone in the last 20 years of the postseason.
GLENPOOL — Both the Pond Creek-Hunter girls and boys fell into the losers bracket at the Class A Area II championships.
The Lady Panthers (24-1) suffered their first loss of the season — 62-43 to Frontier. Frontier, ironicially handed Pond Creek-Hunter its first loss of the season two years ago in the Area I winners bracket finals at the Chisholm Trail Expo Center Coliseum.
Pond Creek-Hunter gets a second shot at state tonight against Coyle, which eliminated Kremln-Hillsdale 57-32.
•The Lady Broncs (15-13) got 16 points from Billie Jo Gabriel, but were outscored 28-12 in the second half. It was the furthest Kremlin-Hillsdale’s girls have been in the playoffs since reaching the state tournament in 1995.
• Top-ranked Glencoe beat the Panthers 57- 46 to set up a fourth meeting between Pond Creek-Hunter and Drummond. Drummond eliminated Coyle, 57-36 in a losers bracket semifinal. Pond Creek-Hunter beat the Bulldogs 43-25 last week in the regional finals.
Brady Kokojan had 25 points to pace the Bulldogs, who didn’t look back after racing off to a 19-6 first-quarter lead.
Red Oak tops Tigers
SAND SPRINGS — Baylee Evans (26) and Britany Ward (14) combined for 40 points as Red Oak used a 27-13 second-quarter spurt to beat Timberlake 61-55 in the Class B Area II winners bracket finals. Ami Adkisson and Tiffany Schlup both had 18 for the Lady Tigers.
Timberlake gets a second shot at their fourth straight state tournament trip when it faces New Lima at 6:30 tonight in the losers bracket finals. The Lady Tigers beat New Lima in the regional finals, 57-43. New Lima eliminated Bluejacket 67-28 Friday.
Seiling in state
WEATHERFORD — Seiling’s girls beat Cheyenne-Reydon, 54-45 in the Class A Area I winners bracket finals to qualify for the state tournment.
• Seiling’s boys fell to Fort Cobb-Broxton 69-49 in the winners bracket finals. They will play Laverne at 8 tonight for a state tourney berth.
PHS, Eagles roll
MINCO — Pioneer used an 18-12 fourth-quarter run to beat Central Marlow 66-61 in a regional losers bracket semifinal Friday. Brandon McNaughton led the Mustangs with 20 points.
• Pioneer will face Hennessey, a 55-35 winner over Walters. Seth Childs led the Eagles with 13 poins. Hennesey took control of the game with a 15-7 third-quarter spurt to go up 36-27.
• Skylar Holder scored 13 points in leading Hennessey’s girls past Minco 44-34 in a 2A regional losers bracket semifinal. The Lady Eagles face Boone-Apache at 1:30 p.m. today in the losers bracket finals.