NEW YORK —
Manti Te’o and Geno Smith provided the sizzle previously missing from the NFL draft.
Te’o is headed to San Diego, Smith is a Jet, and Radio City Music Hall shook with the kind of noise usually heard in stadiums when they were selected.
The theater rocked with two picks within minutes of each other Friday night. Te’o, the Notre Dame All-America linebacker, was chosen sixth in the second round by the Chargers, drawing a loud roar from the fans. One spot later, the Jets took the West Virginia quarterback, drawing a raucous reaction of cheers and boos.
The big names had taken over from the bulk and beef of opening night, when 18 linemen went in the first round.
Among those who didn’t go were quarterbacks Matt Barkley of Southern California, Landry Jones of Oklahoma and Ryan Nassib of Syracuse; South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore, who is recovering from a severe knee injury; and two starters from national champion Alabama, OL Barrett Jones and DT Jesse Williams.
No state players were taken in the second day. The concludes today with the fourth through the seventh rounds.
Te’o, who led the Fighting Irish to the national championship game, was projected as a first-rounder last year. But his poor performance in a rout at the hands of Alabama, some slow 40-yard dash times, and a tabloid-ready hoax involving a fake girlfriend that became a national soap opera dropped his stock.
“I did expect to go in the first round,” Te’o said. “But things happened and all it did was give me more motivation.”
The Chargers traded up with Arizona to grab Te’o, the Heisman Trophy runner-up.
“We did a lot of work on Te’o and I’ve seen him for a number of years,” first-year general manager Tom Telesco said. “He loves football. He’s passionate about it. He loves to practice. He loves to play.”
2013 NFL Draft Selections
By The Associated Press
33. Jacksonville, Johnathan Cyprien, db, FIU.
34. Tennessee (from Kansas City through San Francisco), Justin Hunter, wr, Tennessee.
35. Philadelphia, Zach Ertz, te, Stanford.
36. Detroit, Darius Slay, db, Mississippi State.
37. Cincinnati (from Oakland), Gio Bernard, rb, North Carolina.
38. San Diego (from Arizona), Mantei Te’o, lb, Notre Dame.
Cleveland Exercised in Supplemental Draft.
39. New York Jets, Geno Smith, qb, West Virginia.
40. San Francisco (from Tennessee), Cornellius Carradine, de, Florida State.
41. Buffalo, Robert Woods, wr, Southern Cal.
42. Oakland (from Miami), Menelik Watson, ot, Florida State.
43. Tampa Bay, Johnthan Banks, db, Mississippi State.
44. Carolina, Kawann Short, dt, Purdue.
New Orleans Forfeited.
45. Arizona (from San Diego), Kevin Minter, lb, LSU.
46. Buffalo (from St. Louis), Kiko Alonso, lb, Oregon.
47. Dallas, Gavin Escobar, te, San Diego State.
48. Pittsburgh, Le’Veon Bell, rb, Michigna State.
49. New York Giants, Johnathan Hankins, dt, Ohio State.
50. Chicago, Jon Bostic, lb, Florida.
51. Washington, David Amerson, db, N.C. State.
52. New England (from Minnesota), Jamie Collins, lb, Southern Miss.
53. Cincinnati, Margus Hunt, de, SMU.
54. Miami (from Indianapolis), Jamar Taylor, db, Boise State.
55. San Francisco (from Green Bay), Vance McDonald, te, Rice.
56. Baltimore (from Seattle), Arthur Brown, lb, Kansas State.
57. Houston, D.J. Swearinger, db, South Carolina.
58. Denver, Montee Ball, rb, Wisconsin.
59. New England, Aaron Dobson, wr, Marshall.
60. Atlanta, Robert Alford, db, SE Louisiana.
61. Green Bay (from San Francisco), Eddie Lacy, rb, Alabama.
62. Seattle (from Baltimore), Christine Michael, rb, Texas A&M.
63. Kansas City, Travis Kelce, te, Cincinnati.
64. Jacksonville, Dwayne Gratz, db, UConn.
65. Detroit, Larry Warford, g, Kentucky.
66. Oakland, Sio Moore, lb, UConn.
67. Philadelphia, Bennie Logan, dt, LSU.
68. Cleveland, Leon McFadden, db, San Diego State.
69. Arizona, Tyrann Mathieu, db, LSU.
70. Tennessee, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, db, UConn.
71. St. Louis (from Buffalo), T.J. McDonald, Southern Cal.
72. New York Jets, Brian Winters, ot, Kent State.
73. Tampa Bay, Mike Glennon, qb, N.C. State.
74. Dallas (from Carolina through San Francisco), Terrance Williams, wr, Baylor.
75. New Orleans, Terron Armstead, ot, Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
76. San Diego, Keenan Allen, wr, California.
77. Miami, Dallas Thomas, ot, Tennessee.
78. Buffalo (from St. Louis), Marquise Goodwin, wr, Texas.
79. Pittsburgh, Markus Wheaton, wr, Oregon State.
80. Dallas, J.J. Wilcox, db, Georgia Southern.
81. New York Giants, Damontre Moore, de, Texas A&M.
82. New Orleans (from Chicago through Miami), John Jenkins, nt, Georgia.
83. New England (from Minnesota), Logan Ryan, db, Rutgers.
84. Cincinnati, Shawn Williams, db, Georgia.
85. Washington, Jordan Reed, te, Florida.
86. Indianapolis, Hugh Thornton, g, Illinois.
87. Seattle, Jordan Hill, dt, Penn State.
88. San Francisco (from Green Bay), Corey Lemonier, de, Auburn.
89. Houston, Brennan Williams, ot, North Carolina.
90. Denver, Kayvon Webster, db, South Florida.
91. New England, Duron Harmon, db, Rutgers.
92. St. Louis (from Atlanta), Stedman Bailey, wr, West Virginia.
93. Miami (from San Francisco through Green Bay), Will Davis, db, Utah State.
94. Baltimore, Brandon Williams, dt, Missouri Southern.
95. x-Houston, Sam Montgomery, de, LSU.
96. x-Kansas City, Knile Davis, rb, Arkansas.
97. x-Tennessee, Zaviar Gooden, lb, Missouri.