The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

January 19, 2014

Pacers held off, Plainsmen held down vs. Ike

Bruce Campbell, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — Saturday marked another historic occasion for the Enid Event Center.

Friday, Enid’s basketball teams scored their first ever sweep of a doubleheader (over Ponca City) in their new home.

Saturday, they were swept for the first time ever.

The No. 16-ranked Pacers (8-4) saw a furious rally fall just short in a 33-32 loss to No. 20 Lawton Eisenhower (8-2).

The No. 11 Eagles (8-3) completed the sweep as they had four players in double figures in a 62-39 rout of the Plainsmen (2-13).

Enid’s girls shot only 31.8 percent from the field (12 of 38) and committed 17 turnovers, but almost overcame a six-point deficit in the last 17 seconds.

The Lady Eagles missed the front end of two one-and-ones in the last 25 seconds. EHS took advantage,  as Andi Pierce hit a layup for the last of her 13 points with 17 seconds left and Haven Bay hit three free throws with 7.3 seconds.

Lawton Ike called its last timeout to avert a five-second call after the Bay free throws. A football-like pass ended up in the hands of Abby Lee, who drove to the basket only to miss what would have been the winning shot. Kennedi Simien pulled down the rebound to assure the Lady Eagles’ victory.

“You have to give the girls credit for fighting until the bitter end,’’ said Enid coach Robb Mills. “We got the steal we wanted and we got a good shot, we just didn’t make it.’’

Mills, though, said the game shouldn’t had come down to that.

“You can go back to several plays in the game and talk about all the little things that we could have done, whether it was blocking out or making our layups.’’

Lawton Ike’s twin towers of 6-foot-1 Crystal Polk (12) and 5-foot-11 Nikki Smith (11) were effective inside combining for 23 points. Pierce was the lone Pacer in double figures.

A three-pointer by Bay with 57 seconds left in third period tied the game for the last time at 25.

The Pacers managed only one score  — a basket by Pierce with 2:29 remaining, before their late comeback. Lawton Ike had taken a 33-27 lead after two free throws by Sydney Ellis with 39.2 seconds left, her only points of the game.

“They were so big inside that it makes it tough to score,’’ Mills said. “We didn’t shoot it extremely well from outside ... that’s why we got down the way we did tonight.’’

Pierce was the only consistent part of the offense, as she was five of eight from the field. She had 10 points in the second half after having only three at halftime.

“They are always known for their inside game,’’ Pierce said. “That made it a little frustrating. It’s hard to play back-to-back, but we had a chance to win and that’s all you can ask for. If it wasn’t for a few glitches, we would have won the game.’’

Enid scored the game’s  first eight points as Lawton Ike missed its first six shots from the field. The Lady Eagles would use a 19-3 run to turn a 10-2 disadvantage after the first quarter into a 21-13 lead with 6:10 left in the third period.

“We’re fine,’’ Mills said. “Give them credit, they’re a good basketball team. We’ll learn from these lessons.’’

Enid will return to action Thursday at the Deer Creek Edmond Tournament.


The Plainsmen might have taken a step back from any momentum gained from a 56-38 win over Ponca City Friday.

Enid was only 14 of 38 from the field for 36.8 percent and the Plainsmen committed 21 turnovers. Braden Rogers was the lone EHS player in double figures with 10.

Lawton Ike was dominant inside and outside with Jamey Woods leading the way with 18 points, followed by Douglas Moore with 15, Robert Chapman with 12 and Keyshawn Perkins with 10.

The Plainsmen were within respectability at halftime when a trey by Marcus Moore cut the Eagles lead to 30-22. Lawton Ike, though, opened the second half with a 12-3 run and never looked back.

“As long as we’re competitive and the guys keep fighting, I can live with score,’’ said Enid coach Ryan Wilkinson. “They’re a really good team and when the shots are falling you can’t do anything about it.

“But toward the middle of the third period, we had some guys giving up on us and they’re started not playing with the same intensity, which we hadn’t seen too many times this year. I’m really disappointed in that aspect.’’

Wilkinson went to his bench “trying to find guys wanting to play hard.’’

“This is not a game that we can use as a learning tool,’’ Wilkinson said. “We might have done some good things in the first half, but toward the third period, we had guys starting to doubt themselves and give up on the process, which is taking things backward.’’

Wikinson did praise Lawton Ike’s athleticism, which he said “was causing us to alter out shots ... they blocked some shots which might have gotten in our head and made us a little passive. We still had battled until the middle of the third period.’’

EHS will be off until Jan. 28 when it hosts Woodward. Wilkinson vowed to go back to work Monday “and fix this stuff.’’

The Plainsmen will go to the TCU-Oklahoma game Wednesday in Norman.