The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK


November 18, 2012

When rumor has it wrong: Thumbs down to courthouse lawn worries

Thumbs down to online rumors that spread half-truths and uncorroborated assertions. We prefer to deal in documented sources to confirm our stories.

A recent Facebook post claimed Garfield County commissioners already had approved a plan to replace the courthouse lawn with a parking lot.

In fact, the proposal would redo the parking lot behind the courthouse, pushing it farther back. The proposal shows the parking lot arcing north of the courthouse clock tower, away from the edge of the building where the current parking lot is located.

The plan would not do away with the courthouse lawn and gazebo, which are popular venues for events downtown.

Thumbs up to state Rep. Mike Jackson, R-Enid, for being elected to serve as speaker pro tempore by the Oklahoma House Republican Caucus.

Jackson’s election by the caucus was part of a slate of Republican leaders selected two days after the GOP gained two seats in the House, increasing its margin over Democrats to a commanding 72-29 edge.

He will replace outgoing Speaker Pro Tempore Jeff Hickman, R-Fairview, after the new Republican leadership formally is installed in January.

Jackson said legislative steps are possible with the decision to close Northern Oklahoma Resource Center of Enid. We hope the new speaker pro tempore can help turn things around.

Thumbs up to Youth and Family Services of North Central Oklahoma for receiving a $10,000 grant from AT&T to provide vocational rehabilitation services to at-risk teens in the community.

Youth and Family Services provides assistance to more than 1,500 children and families each year through a variety of programs, including an emergency youth shelter, food pantries, school-based and outpatient counseling services, and adolescent drug and alcohol recovery programs.

We appreciate AT&T’s interest in helping our area youth.

More thumbs up to Enid gastroenterologist Sanku Rao giving CPR for 15 minutes to a man who had flown into Tampa, Fla., on the same flight as Rao and his wife.

Emergency medical technicians eventually took over. Rao said the man was taken to an emergency room, then a cardiac catheterization laboratory. Cardiologists placed a stent in a blood vessel to save his life.

The man, who made a full recovery, phoned him a few days later.

Thanks to Rao for lending a helping hand.

Text Only
Featured Ads
House Ads