Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
Enid Public Schools is on the clock.
The Enid Board of Education is looking for a quality school board candidate with a deadline looming.
Office 5 is vacant and the board is running against a Friday deadline to appoint someone to the post. Cody Lack, who was appointed in March 2012, resigned in August to take the job as assistant boys basketball coach at Enid High School.
If no one is appointed by Friday, the district will have to call an election it doesn’t need with an estimated cost of $7,000.
Office 5 is mainly located south of Oxford, north of Maple, west of 10th and east of Cleveland.
Think you might be qualified? Consider the following:
• You must have lived within the district for at least six months prior to the first day of the filing period.
• You must have been a registered voter with the county election board at an address located within the geographical boundaries of the district for at least six months prior to the first day of the filing period.
• You must have a high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalency.
• Special regulations apply to those who have been convicted or pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor involving embezzlement or a felony. Fifteen years must have passed since the completion of the related sentence. Individuals are not eligible to run during a pending appeal of such conviction or plea.
• Cannot have a relative within the second degree currently employed by the district, including a candidate’s spouse, child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother, sister, spouse’s child, spouse’s grandchild, spouse’s brother, spouse’s sister, spouse’s grandparent, grandchild’s spouse, parent’s spouse and child’s spouse.
To apply, call 366-7000 or go to the central office, 500 S. Independence.
If no one is appointed by Friday, the board must file by Nov. 14 to have an election Jan. 14 to fill the seat. It then would come up again in the normal February school board election.
We hope a sincere patron steps up to the plate before that happens.