The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

January 17, 2013

Man arrested in stabbings asks for drug treatment

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A 33-year-old Enid man arrested over the weekend for stabbing two men at a bar and resisting arrest told a judge during arraignment he needed help with drug addiction.

Alejandro Garcia was arraigned Thursday on two felony counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for an incident at Scooters early Sunday morning.

Garcia was also charged with misdemeanor counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, destroying evidence and resisting arrest.

Garcia appeared from Garfield County Detention Facility via video before Special District Judge Brian Lovell.

He told the judge he wanted to get treatment and needed court-appointed counsel.

“I’ve been hooked on these methamphetmines for two years now,” he told the judge, “and I’ve never had treatment before.”

Enid Police Department Sgts. Rick Tanner and Nick John were at Scooters Sunday looking for another person when they were told there was a fight inside the club, according to an  affidavit filed in the case.

They found Garcia among a large crowd, swinging his arms. A bouncer tried to subdue Garcia and the crowd began telling the sergeants Garcia had a knife.

Tanner ordered Garcia to show him his hands, but Garcia would not comply, according to the affidavit. Tanner ordered Garcia to the ground, and again he would not comply. Tanner than deployed his Tazer to Garcia’s stomach and Garcia went to the ground. Garcia continued to refuse to follow orders and while John attempted to place hand cuff onto Garcia but he again resisted.

Tanner then shot his Taser at Garcia, but did not believe the probes’ barbs made contact with Garcia’s skin because it appeared to have no effect upon him, Tanner noted in the affidavit. Tanner and John were able to cuff Garcia and take him outside.

The manager of the club brought a pocket knife to Tanner, which he said another bouncer had found under a bar stool near where Garcia was lying.

Garcia told police had been attacked and was cut by something. Tanner noted in the affidavit Garcia had a cut to his thumb and a swollen left eye. He also notes Garcia was unsteady on his feet, had slurred speech and an odor of intoxicants on his breath.

Officer Lee Frisendahl arrived and was searching Garcia when he found a glass pipe that appeared to have been used to smoke methamphetamine. Frisendahl placed the pipe on the hood of a car, it rolled off and Garcia smashed most of the pipe with his foot.

Police spoke with a man who said Garcia was picking a fight with his friend and began a fight with him. He told police he was able to pull his friend away after Garcia had stabbed his friend in the leg with a knife. The manager of Scooters also told police a bouncer also had been stabbed in the leg.

Police spoke with the man who said Garcia had started a fight with him and pulled a knife and attempted to stab people. He said Garcia stabbed him in the leg.

Because of prior felony convictions, Garcia faces four years to life imprisonment on both felonies. He is being held in lieu of $75,000 bond and was ordered to return to court Feb. 11 for a bond appearance.