The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Local and State News

August 22, 2013

Man appears in court, yet to be charged in woman’s death

ENID, Okla. — A man arrested Saturday in connection with the death of an Enid woman appeared Thursday in Garfield County District Court.

Jason DWayne Lowe, 23, appeared in person before Special District Judge Brian Lovell. Lowe, who has not been charged, was arrested Saturday in Hobart after Enid Police Department detectives obtained a warrant for his arrest on a complaint of murder.

He appeared in court under heavy guard. Five members of Garfield County Sheriff’s Office were present during his appearance. Lovell told Lowe charges had not been filed against him, and said the purpose of the hearing was for addressing bond.

Lowe has been held without bond since his arrest Saturday. Assistant District Attorney Jason Seigars asked the court for that arrangement to continue until a Brill hearing, a hearing to determine if a defendant is given a bond, could be held for Lowe.

Lovell told Lowe that Jeff Crites was appointed as his counsel, but said Greg Camp would represent him during his Brill hearing at 10:45 a.m. today. Charges were expected to be filed early next week.

Lowe spoke only to tell the judge he understood his rights, and did not make any statements to the court.

At 12:06 p.m. Saturday, the Garfield County 911 Center received a call from a person saying she was at a residence in the 600 block of West Maple, and a woman inside was unresponsive and appeared to have blunt-force trauma to her face.

The caller told the 911 operator the woman, identified as Crystal Star Johnson, 33, and her boyfriend were fighting the night before, according to an Enid Police Department report. When she found the woman, the boyfriend no longer was in the residence.

Enid Police Department officers and detectives responded and began investigating the incident as a homicide. After completing an initial investigation, detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Lowe.

Lowe was taken into custody in Hobart without incident. Johnson’s body was taken to Oklahoma City to the state Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy.

Text Only
Local and State News
News Photos

Enid News & Eagle photos taken throughout February 2014. Enjoy full-access all ENE photos at