By Dale Denwalt, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
A small fire caused the evacuation of an AdvancePierre Foods plant Monday morning.
The plant is located at 202 E. Pine.
According to Fire Marshal Ken Helms, a grease fire started in one of the exhaust vents above some cooking equipment. There were flames visible, Helms said. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was almost completely put out by an automatic chemical extinguisher.
The fire was largely contained to the vent hood but caused smoldering on roofing materials, Helms said. Fire crews had to remove the hood from the roof so they could see the smolder.
Responders received the first call of a fire at 8:16 a.m. Monday, and the last firefighter left the property at 9:39 a.m.
The plant was evacuated and there were no injuries, but a fire department log lists damage totaling $10,000.
In a statement, AdvancePierre Foods said the interruption in its production operations was minimal.
AdvancePierre Foods makes pre-cooked, packaged food for vending machines, convenience stores, food service vendors and schools. Its headquarters is in Cincinnati.