The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

March 27, 2013

Firefighters extinguish rekindled fire at GEFCO

Spark from welding set blaze earlier Wednesday

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — Sparks from welding sent firefighters to GEFCO Wednesday afternoon, and firefighters were called back in the evening when black smoke was seen coming from the business.

Enid Fire Department Fire Marshal Ken Helms said the department received an initial 2:28 p.m. call reporting a fire at the business, 2215 S. Van Buren.

A paint booth on the south side of the building was not in use, but a worker was inside welding, Helms said. Sparks from the welding ignited filter material, commonly shredded paper or other fibrous material, in the exhaust system of the booth.

“It’s a very large filter system and a very large exhaust,” Helms said. “It burned up quite a bit of that filler material and extended into the ductwork.”

Helms said the fire had been extinguished, or partially extinguished, by a sprinkler system when firefighters arrived on scene. Firefighters checked the structure and roof for extension of the fire and finished extinguishing the fire.

Firefighters remained on scene for about 45 minutes. No injuries were reported.

Someone driving by GEFCO reported at 7:12 p.m. they could see black smoke coming from the roof.

Firefighters returned and found a second paint booth adjacent to the first had a fire in its exhaust system, after the first fire rekindled.

Helms said firefighters were investigating how the fire spread to the other booth, which suffered some scorching from the rekindled fire.

Firefighters still were on scene as of 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.