The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

February 21, 2013

City of Enid accepting apps to fill 16 open seats on its boards and commissions

By James Neal, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — The city of Enid is accepting applications to fill 16 open seats on city boards and commissions.

Appointments will be made to Aviation Advisory Board, Construction Board of Appeals, Tree Board, Historic Preservation Commission, Enid Public Transit Authority, Vance Development Authority and ADA Access Board.

Steve Kime, director of marketing and public relations for the city, said Enid residents should take an interest in serving on the city’s various advisory boards and commissions as a means of giving back to the community and being involved in city government.

He said people often overlook the opportunity to serve on city boards, or “think, ‘Well, the other guy will do it.’”

Kime said prospective applicants need not be experts in the field of a particular board.

“Knowledge is helpful on the topic of that particular board, but what you really need is a sincere desire to make a difference in your community,” Kime said. “If you have a passion for giving back and making your city a better place, one avenue of doing that is by serving on the various boards.”

Board seats open are:

• Aviation Advisory Board — Advises the city commission on matters related to planning and development of Enid Woodring Regional Airport. Four vacancies are open, to be filled by any interested Enid residents.

• Construction Board of Adjustment and Appeals — Hears appeals of decisions made by the city code office and considers code variances. Two vacancies are open — one to be filled by a licensed electrical contractor or a licensed electrical journeyman, to fill an unexpired term to March 1, 2014; and one to be filled by a licensed plumbing contractor or a licensed plumbing journeyman.

• Tree Board — Oversees the planning, care, preservation and removal of trees and shrubs on public property. Four vacancies are available to be filled by any interested Enid resident, with one seat to fill an unexpired term to March 1, 2014.

• Historic Preservation Commission — Oversees the city’s historic preservation program, and makes recommendations to the city development office and Metro Area Planning Commission on development, demolition and exterior renovation within the boundaries of the Kenwood and Waverley historic districts. One vacancy is open, to be filled by a historian.

• Enid Public Transit Authority — Oversees the planning, financing and operation of Enid’s public transit system. One vacancy is open, to be filled by any interested Enid resident.

• Vance Development Authority — Works “to maintain and improve the relationship between the citizens of Enid and northwest Oklahoma and military and civilian personnel engaged in the military mission(s) at Vance Air Force Base.”

The authority has three vacancies — one to be filled by a person who has retired from the U.S. Air Force; one to be filled by a member of the Garfield  County Development Alliance; and one to be filled by any interested Enid resident.

• ADA Access Board — Makes recommendations to the city commission regarding Americans with Disabilities Act issues in the city of Enid. One vacancy will be filled by any interested Enid resident.

Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. March 1.   According to a city press release, the city commission intends to make appointments to the open seats during its March 19 meeting.

Information and applications may be obtained in the city clerk’s office at the city administration building, 401 W. Garriott, by calling the clerk’s office at 616-7271 or from the city’s website,