By Robert Barron, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
Enid Farmers Market kicks off its fifth season at 8 a.m. Saturday at the old train depot at Grand and Garriott.
The market offers home-grown fresh fruit and vegetables — hoping to help promote healthier eating — and other products that promote healthy living.
Enid Farmers Market is a labor of love for director Corey Groendyke, who is passionate about healthy eating, and she said she loves walking around the market with a cup of coffee in her hand, talking with friends and letting the children run and play and enjoy the toys and crafts.
Still, it was her interest in healthy foods that first interested her in the Farmers Market.
“I thought it would be good to think proactively instead of reactionary,” she said.
Groendyke has been a vegetarian for 20 years, and hopes to educate about healthy eating by blogging about how certain foods affect the body.
The market will expand its offerings this year, including additional prepared food and produce. There also will be a number of craft vendors, and all of the crafts will relate to naturally crafted items in keeping with the theme of Enid Farmers Market.
The market always is looking for a wide variety of vendors who will offer items such as produce, dairy, eggs, nuts, baked goods, packaged or canned goods, plants, shrubs, trees, vegetable starter plants, cut flowers and hand-crafted items, Groendyke said. She said she hopes food items in general will be 80 percent of the items available on market days, and the remaining 20 percent unique handmade items.
“We encourage anyone to apply to be a vendor,” she said.
For information, go to the market’s website, www.enidfarmersmarket.org. Enid Farmers Market is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Groendyke said she is working on the state and national levels to allow use of food stamps at Enid Farmers Market to purchase healthy food.
Art on Demand is a new feature at the market this year. Enid youths will make drawings for people on the spot for a donation to Creative Arts Enid.