The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

December 7, 2013

Smoldering attic fire causes thousands in damage at residence

By Dale Denwalt, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A fire may have smoldered for several hours before the occupants of a home called the fire department Saturday morning, according to official records.

The report states that the incident started at about 6 p.m. Friday, when someone smelled smoke inside a home at 113 S. Keystone.

“They tried to go to sleep but were unable to sleep because the odor was getting stronger,” said Deputy Chief Kenny Smith.

Firefighters were called to the home at 4:17 a.m.

Upon arrival, they found blistering paint in the kitchen area and created a hole in the ceiling to reach the attic. They deployed a small water line to extinguish visible flames and continued into the attic to eliminate hot spots.

“After removing insulation and exposing the charred material in the area of the origin, it was apparent that the most probable cause of the fire was a faulty heat tape that was taped around an overhead water line,” Smith said, reading from the report.

An assistant fire marshal agreed that likely was the cause.

There was a smoke detector in the home but it was not operational, according to the report.

Firefighters were on the scene for a little more than two hours. Smith said one firefighter reported a minor injury, and that he declined medical treatment.

It is the policy of the city of Enid to report every injury, regardless of severity.