The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

May 16, 2013

Police shoot pit bull

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News & Eagle

ENID, Okla. — Members of Waukomis Police Department shot and killed a pit bull terrier Wednesday afternoon after responding to a call of a vicious dog, but the dog’s owner said police were wrong to shoot his dog.

Police responded at about 3 p.m. Wednesday to a report of a “vicious dog barking and lunging” at a resident on South 3rd in Waukomis, according to a release from the department.

When officers arrived, a brown and tan pit bull was in the back yard of the reporting party’s property, and as officers entered the backyard, the dog began barking at them.

The dog returned to its owner’s property, and one of the officers attempted to open a shed in the back to put the dog inside until its owner came back home.

“This is when the dog made an aggressive action, went after the other officer, shots were fired for the protection of the physical safety of the officers and others,” according to the release. The department had received a previous call concerning the dog Sunday.

Chief Robert Asch said no one was injured in the incident and did note it was close to the time schools let out when the dog was shot.

The dog’s owner, Tim McFadden, said the 85-pound pit bull was the “nicest pit bull you’ve known.”

He said he disagrees with the department’s decision to shoot his dog, named Kaleah Cheyenne, saying the action went too far.

“I think it’s animal cruelty,” he said. “They shot her, in my eyes, because she was a pit bull.”

McFadden, who owns Red Dirt Detail, said Kaleah was a shop dog that was skittish around guns. He said he recently moved to Waukomis and said the dog was able to jump his 4-foot-tall fence. He said he was bringing the dog’s 10-foot-tall kennel home the day she was shot.

“She was an 85-pound pit bull and she was a lap dog,” McFadden said.

He said the dog had gotten out earlier Wednesday and a friend saw the dog in the front yard. He said his friend, who the dog had never met, was able to pick the dog up and put her back inside the fence.

McFadden said in the earlier incident when the dog had gotten out he was not fined; however, he was issued a $180 citation Wednesday for animal at large.

“She was my dog, she was my baby,” he said. “It’s sad how things went down.”