The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

December 2, 2013

Man pleads guilty to domestic abuse

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News & Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A 27-year-old man charged last year in connection with two incidents of abusing and assaulting a woman pleaded guilty last week.

Jon Christopher Scott Haws pleaded guilty Wednesday to two felony counts of domestic abuse by strangulation, a felony count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and misdemeanor counts of domestic abuse and violation of a protective order.

Haws had counts of first-degree rape by force or fear and rape by instrumentation dismissed.

Haws received a 10-year sentence on the assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He received three-year sentences on both counts of domestic abuse by strangulation and one year sentences on the other charges. The sentences were ordered to run concurrently.

Haws’ charges resulted from incidents of abuse against his then-fiancée in October and November last year.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Enid Police Department officer Aaron Barber responded to a report of a sexual offense, with the victim at St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center.

Barber spoke with the woman, who appeared to have been crying, in the hospital’s emergency room waiting area. Barber noted in the affidavit seeing red marks and bruising on the woman’s right arm.

The woman said her fiancé, Haws, had physically assaulted her from 11 p.m. Nov. 9 until 5 p.m. Nov. 10 at their residence on East Oak, according to the affidavit. She said Haws not only physically assaulted her but also sexually assaulted her with a baseball bat and raped her.

Police spoke with Haws about 6:39 p.m. Nov. 10 at Enid Police Department.

He told police he and the woman were engaged and were moving to Garber when they began arguing on Nov. 9, according to the affidavit. He said when they got back from her sister’s house, the woman went to lie down about 11 or 11:30 p.m. because she wasn’t feeling well.

He said the next morning everything was fine. When police told Haws the woman said he had sexually assaulted her, he laughed, according to the affidavit. He said there was no violent contact between them.

The findings of a sexual assault nurse examination were consistent with blunt force penetrating trauma, which is consistent with the history provided by the woman.

Haws had been scheduled for a jury trial Monday.