The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

November 15, 2012

Man held on $500,000 bond for rape and assault with a dangerous weapon

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A 26-year-old Enid man is being held in lieu of $500,000 bond after being charged with rape and assault with a dangerous weapon.

Jon Christopher Scott Haws was arraigned Thursday on counts of first-degree rape, rape by instrumentation, domestic assault and battery strangulation, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and misdemeanor domestic abuse.

Haws is accused of assaulting his fiancee as they were moving to a house in Garber over the weekend. He appeared before Special District Judge Brian Lovell via video and requested a bond reduction.

Assistant District Attorney Jason Seigars said the state objected to a reduction in bond because of the seriousness of the charges and the facts of the case.

Lovell asked Haws what he could say that would show he deserved a reduction in bond.

“The fact that the two more serious charges, that evidence from knowledge is indirect,” Haws told the court. “The two serious charges are incorrect.”

Haws also said he cooperated fully with police and never refused to speak with them about the case.

Lovell denied Haws’ request and kept bond at $500,000.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Enid Police Department officer Aaron Barber responded at 5:31 p.m. Saturday to a report of a sexual offense, with the victim at St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center.

Barber spoke with the woman, who appeared to have been crying, in the hospital’s emergency room waiting area. Barber noted in the affidavit seeing red marks and bruising on the woman’s right arm.

The woman said her fiance, Haws, had physically assaulted her from 11 p.m. Nov. 9 until 5 p.m. Nov. 10 at their residence on East Oak, according to the affidavit. She said Haws not only physically assaulted her but also sexually assaulted her with a baseball bat and raped her.

Police spoke with Haws about 6:39 p.m. Nov. 10 at Enid Police Department.

He told police he and the woman were engaged and were moving to Garber when they began arguing on Nov. 9, according to the affidavit. He said when they got back from her sister’s house, the woman went to lie down about 11 or 11:30 p.m. because she wasn’t feeling well.

He said the next morning everything was fine. When police told Haws the woman said he had sexually assaulted her, he laughed, according to the affidavit. He said there was no violent contact between them.

The findings of the sexual assault nurse examination were consistent with blunt force penetrating trauma, which is consistent with the history provided by the woman, according to the affidavit.

Haws faces up to five years in prison for the first-degree rape charge, one to 15 years on the rape by instrumentation charge, one to three years and/or fine of up to $3,000 on the strangulation charge and up to 10 years in prison or a year in county jail on the charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He also faces up to a year in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000 on the domestic abuse charge.

Haws was ordered to return to court Dec. 17 for a bond appearance.