Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
Enid Farmers Market will host a free training for people interested in becoming vendors with the organization during the 2013 season.
The training will be 6:30 p.m. Monday in the board room at Northwestern Oklahoma State University-Enid, 2929 E. Randolph. Refreshments will be provided.
“We always have people asking what the requirements are as vendors, and we, of course, require vendors to follow state regulations regarding preparation and packing of food items. We want to provide as much support and education as possible about these guidelines, in hopes that new vendors will join us,” said Kayte Anton, president of Enid Farmers Market board.
Enid Farmers Market officially will open its 2013 season May 11 and continue 8-11 a.m. every Saturday through October. Enid Farmers Market is located on the corner of Grand and Garriott, in front of the historic Rock Island Depot.
“This training should give prospective vendors plenty of time to figure out how to meet these state standards, or improve on them, before our season opens in May,” said Stephanie Ezzell, a member of Enid Farmers Market board, who helps vendors coordinate use of a commercial kitchen and who will be leading the training for prospective vendors. “We want those interested not to be deterred by state guidelines, because we have access to a commercial kitchen that is required for certain food preparations, and a board that is committed to vendor development.”
Enid Farmers Market is looking for a wide variety of vendors who will offer items including produce, dairy, eggs, nuts, baked goods, packaged or canned goods, plants, shrubs, trees, vegetable starter plants, cut flowers, hygiene items and hand-crafted items.
“The training will be mostly focused on state regulations for food preparations, but we will also discuss what the Enid Farmers Market looks for in hand-crafted items,” Ezzell said. “Food items in general should be 80 percent of the items available on market days, and the remaining 20 percent can be unique handmade items. We encourage anyone to apply to be a vendor, but this training might be beneficial if you’re not quite sure your item would work at a farmers market.”
Anyone interested in attending the training for prospective vendors is encourage to visit the organization’s website, www.enid farmersmarket.org, and fill out the registration form as well as download a vendor application along with the market’s rules and regulations. Prospective vendors are encouraged to register for the training by noon on Monday.
All approved and returning vendors will meet 6:30 p.m. April 1 at Autry Technology Center to discuss the upcoming season. Market days also will include live music, and any musicians interested in being featured at the Enid Farmers Market are encouraged to contact the board through the market’s website as well.
“The Enid Farmers Market continues to grow and this season we are really focusing on education, about healthy and sustainable living by utilizing social media, special events and assisting in vendor development through events such as Monday’s training,” said Corey Groendyke, executive director of Enid Farmers Market. “It is exciting to see so many people interested in sharing their gifts with the community through the Enid Farmers Market.”
For information, go to the Enid Farmers Market website, www.enid farmersmarket.org, or call Groendyke at (580) 977-4420.