By Phyllis Zorn, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
Eight area high school seniors are recipients of the 2013 Academic All-State Awards from Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence.
Each will receive a $1,000 scholarship and a medallion at the foundation’s 27th annual Academic Awards Banquet May 18 in Oklahoma City.
• Maria Torres, Enid, Chisholm High School.
• Holly Stuart, Enid, Enid High School.
• Nicholas Denker, Enid, Pioneer High School.
• Grant Newton, Kingfisher, Kingfisher High School.
• Bolton Ferda, Medford, Blackwell High School.
• Connor Cusack, Meno, Fairview High School.
• Ashtyn Widney, Watonga, Watonga High School.
• Sierra White, Woodward, Woodward High School.
They were selected from 610 nominations statewide.
David Boren, chairman and founder of Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence, describes selection of the scholars as “Oklahoma’s most rigorous academic competition.”
To be nominated, a student must meet one of the following criteria: ACT composite score of 30 or higher; a Scholastic Aptitude Test critical reading and math score of at least 1,340; or be selected as a semifinalist for a National Merit, National Achievement or National Hispanic Scholarship. In addition, extracurricular activities, community involvement and an essay submitted by each nominee are factored into the selection process.
Selection committee members are a diverse group of business, education and civic leaders, as well as past program honorees.
The May 18 banquet is open to the public. Admission is $50. The ceremony will be televised on OETA at 8 p.m. May 25.
The foundation has provided more than $3.8 million in scholarships and awards to outstanding graduating seniors as Academic All-Staters, and exceptional educators as Medal for Excellence winners.