The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

December 18, 2013

City of Enid looking for advisers on art

By Dale Denwalt, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — The city of Enid is searching for seven people to help guide the appearance and management of public art within the city.

A newly created volunteer panel, known as the Visual Arts Commission, will make guidelines and oversee which pieces of art will become part of the city’s collection.

“Seven appointments will be made, to be filled by persons from the art community or those having a special interest in the arts,” city spokesman Steve Kime said in a announcement Wednesday.

Applications are due Jan. 8.

An ordinance adopted earlier this month created the commission and set the framework for its operation.

According to the law, up to 1 percent of any city project costing more than $250,000 may be held back and spent on an art installation.

The artwork will be pitched by the artist and selected by the VAC. One member of the city commission and six others picked by the city will serve on the VAC.

There is an option to add three additional non-voting members, including a youth representative. Each term on the VAC will last three years.

Any artwork would have to be judged based on compatibility, appropriateness to the surroundings, a sense of order, preservation and integration of natural features, appropriateness to the project and representation of a broad variety of tastes within the community.

Whitney Box, director of strategic and long range planning, previously told Enid City Commission the art installation doesn’t necessarily have to follow the construction project.

“If it’s not (appropriate) — say, there can be major construction at the landfill where nobody would really see it — then it would be placed someplace else,” she said. “It doesn’t require that it be on site.”

Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Jan. 8. It’s expected the final members will be confirmed at the city commission meeting Jan. 21. Commissioners may conduct interviews with applicants before making an appointment.

Information on the commission and applications can be obtained from the city clerk’s office, located in the city administration building, 401 W. Garriott, or by calling (580) 616-7271.

Application forms also will be posted at