The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

November 29, 2012

Enid man's confessed killer loses appeal

Staff and wire reports
Enid News and Eagle

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals has rejected the appeal of an admitted killer of an Enid man who asked to withdraw his guilty plea.

Thursday’s ruling upholds the plea and sentence of life in prison without parole of 37-year-old Michael Wayne Wood Sr.

Wood pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in 2010 and admitted beating Donavan Nimmo to death and dumping his body from a bridge in Blaine County in January 2005. Nimmo, who was 29, was last seen alive in Enid in 2005, and his body has never been found.

Jennifer Durbin also was sentenced to life without parole after pleading guilty in 2010 to first-degree murder in the case.

The appeals court rejected Wood’s claims that included ineffective legal counsel and whether the trial court established that he was competent to enter the plea.

Wood was charged Aug. 13, 2008, in Nimmo’s death.

Wood is accused of acting with Durbin to beat Nimmo to death during the course of kidnapping him sometime between Jan. 19 and 20, 2005.

Wood pleaded guilty July 22, 2010, to a count of first-degree murder based upon a plea agreement that would withdraw death as a penalty if Wood assisted in locating Nimmo’s body. Despite his assistance, Nimmo’s body was never recovered.

Durbin, who was charged in Nimmo’s death along with Wood, entered a guilty plea April 5, 2010, in Blaine County District Court and was sentenced to life without parole May 24, 2010.

According to court documents, Durbin told Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agents she and Wood lured Nimmo to her trailer with the promise of drugs and to return his cell phone.

She told agents she and Wood repeatedly beat Nimmo, bound him and placed him in the trunk of his car, according to an affidavit. She said they drove Nimmo’s car until it ran out of gas and then placed Nimmo into Wood’s vehicle before dumping his body into a creek.

Durbin told agents she and Wood tried to destroy evidence of the murder and attempted to bleach the carpet where Nimmo had bled. During a search of Durbin’s trailer and surrounding property, OSBI agents found a burned object Durbin said was used to beat Nimmo. DNA analysis confirmed Nimmo’s blood was on the carpet, carpet pad and a towel in Durbin’s trailer.