The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Local and State News

January 31, 2014

Former Enid man charged with felony domestic assault, battery

ENID, Okla. — A former Enid man who pleaded no contest to charges of domestic abuse last November was charged with felony domestic assault and battery with a dangerous weapon this week in Major County.

Alexander Aguilar, 19, was charged Wednesday with the felony, which carries a possible punishment of up to 10 years in prison or a year in county jail.

The charge alleged Aguilar attacked his father with a baseball bat Saturday at their home in Ames.

Aguilar pleaded no contest Nov. 18  in Garfield County District Court to amended misdemeanor charges of domestic abuse and was given a two-year deferred sentence. He initially was charged May 1 with felony counts of domestic assault and battery by strangulation, assault with a deadly weapon and domestic assault and battery against a pregnant woman, a misdemeanor.

The felony charge of assault and battery by strangulation was reduced to a misdemeanor, and the charge of assault with a deadly weapon was dismissed.

According to an affidavit filed in the Major County case, Major County Deputy Steve Schoffstall was sent at 11:50 p.m. Jan. 25 to the Aguilar residence in Ames in reference to a call about a son hitting his father with a bat and breaking things inside the residence.

Schoffstall arrived and noted seeing an older man sitting on the porch in “apparent pain,” according to the affidavit. The man was holding his left arm and was having trouble standing due to injuries to his left knee and shin.

The man told Schoffstall his son was on the phone and he told him to get off the phone because he needed it back. The man said he told Aguilar he needed his rest and needed to go to bed.

When Aguilar gave the phone back he became upset. The man said he again told his son to go to bed early to cool off, according to the affidavit.

Aguilar’s mother told Schoffstall her son went and got a baseball bat and began breaking things, according to the affidavit. Aguilar’s father told him to leave the house.

Aguilar’s parents both said their son began hitting his father with a baseball bat, according to the affidavit, and Aguilar said he wanted his father to feel the pain he was going through.

The man said he tried to cover himself with a pillow and use his arm to block blows from the baseball bat but Aguilar hit him on the left forearm and the knee and shin.

Schoffstall photographed the man’s injuries and noted in the affidavit there was swelling, redness and bruising on the man’s arm, as well as the same on his knee and shin.

Schoffstall also photographed a small puncture wound to the man’s left bicep and a small cut above the man’s right wrist. The deputy also photographed damage in the bedroom.

Aguilar told Schoffstall he became mad when he was told to give the phone back and began breaking things, according to the affidavit. He said he hit and broke things with the bat until his dad took it away from him.

Schoffstall then placed Aguilar under arrest. He remains in custody at the Major County jail.

According to an affidavit filed in the Garfield County case, Enid Police Department officers responded at 5:59 p.m. May 18 to Jumbo Foods on Willow on a report of domestic abuse after the fact.

Officer Thomas Rhyne spoke with a woman who said she was four months pregnant and her boyfriend, Aguilar, had beaten her up and tried to kill her unborn baby.

She said she’d gone to his apartment at Hunter’s Hills earlier to spend time with him.

She said Aguilar became upset when he learned she was talking to another guy, who was just a friend. The woman said Aguilar grabbed her by the face, putting his hand over her nose and mouth, preventing her from breathing, according to the affidavit.

She said he kept her from breathing for about 30 seconds. She said Aguilar then told her he was going to kill the baby and then her, according to the affidavit. She said Aguilar got her on the ground and began hitting and kicking her. She said he kicked her in the abdomen multiple times. Aguilar also attacked her with scissors before she was able to get away and run across the street to the store, according to the affidavit.

Rhyne noted in his affidavit the woman had a bruised left eye, and other red marks and scratches on her face, as well as bloodied lips. She also had scratches and bruises on both arms and red marks on her stomach and legs.

Text Only
Local and State News
News Photos

Enid News & Eagle photos taken throughout February 2014. Enjoy full-access all ENE photos at