Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
Recent countywide alcohol-compliance checks were a “disappointment,” Sheriff Jerry Niles said, with nearly half of locations checked selling alochol to minors.
Garfield County Sheriff’s Office and PreventionWorkz conducted alcohol compliance checks Sunday throughout Garfield County.
Deputy Dariel Momsen and PreventionWorkz’s Meri Spurlock worked with underage volunteers and checked 20 locations, finding nine to be non-compliant.
Momsen said the volunteers never use a fake or invalid identification card. The volunteers use their actual ID card, which indicates in the upper right hand corner the date of their 21st birthday.
“This weekend’s investigations were a disappointment, for several reasons,” Nile said.
“As many compliance checks as have occurred, no person or business has an excuse for not knowing the law or having the opportunity to receive training,” he said. “Our mission is to prevent impaired or drunk driving, keep the public safe.”
All individuals who sold or furnished alcohol to the underage volunteer were given a citation with a court date of 9 a.m. Jan. 30.
Those locations checked and found in non-compliance are:
• Turf Bar, 210 E. Maine, Shaila Edwards was cited.
• Petes #2, 510 N. 30th, Patricia Odea was cited
• K Store, 3205 N. 4th, Joyla Bowen was cited
• One Stop Shop, 10202 Highway 81, Bett Higgins was cited (business and person prev. cited)
• Covington General Store, 102 Main, Jessie Thayer was cited
• Macs Mart #2, 431 E. Broadway, Sherri Lewis (business prev. cited)
• Jiffy Trip, 4500 N. Highway 74, Melissa Corlett was cited.
• Holdings, 201 N. Oakwood, Jeri Butterworth was cited.
• Playa Azul, 2731 W. Garriott, Francisco Ruiz (served alcohol, will be forwarded to ABLE)
Niles said those who sell alcohol to a minor without a liquor license could face administration fines by the ABLE commission. Also, the business could face an administration fine for allowing an unlicensed person to serve alcohol by the ABLE commission.
Those locations checked and found in compliance:
• Maine Street Mini Mart, Enid.
• Club 30, Enid.
• JB Convenience Store, Enid.
• Dollar General, Enid.
• Buffalo Wild Wings, Enid.
• Best Shell, Enid.
• Petes #1, Enid.
• Napoli’s, Enid.
• JC’s Place, Enid.
• Billy Bobs, Garber.
• The Brick, Covington.
Niles said the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office urges anyone working in alcohol retail or serving alcohol to attend the Responsible Beverage Sales and Service training offered by Spurlock.
Spurlock, who is a certified prevention specialist, said anyone interested in receiving Responsible Beverage Service and Sales training can contact her at (580) 234-1046.
The training is provided free of charge and funded by Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.