The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Local and State News

July 5, 2013

Busy 48 hours: Sheriff's Office deals with chase, DUI, thefts over the Fourth

ENID, Okla. — The Fourth of July capped off an eventful 48 hours for Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, whose deputies were involved in a speedy pursuit, a near accident and chasing down thousands in stolen oil field equipment.

A deputy tried to pull over a speeding driver Wednesday night near Longhorn and Boomer roads, but the driver didn’t stop.

“The subject refused to pull over. He increased his speed and took off on county roads,” said Garfield County Sheriff Jerry Niles. “He pulled into a field, went down a ravine and bailed on foot.”

Deputies could not locate the suspect, so they secured the vehicle and had it towed to impound.

“We do have a suspect in mind, and he resides in Major County,” Niles said, although he declined to elaborate because the incident is under investigation.

On the way back from where the chase ended, Deputy Sgt. Jody Helm was eastbound on U.S. 412 when someone nearly hit his vehicle.

“Sgt. Helm was eastbound on U.S. 412 near Imo when a vehicle approached him going the wrong way in excess of 80 mph,” Niles reported. “Sgt. Helm had to take evasive action and stopped the vehicle.”

The driver, Enid resident Jose Parades, 25, was booked on suspicion of driving under the influence.

In a Facebook post Thursday, the sheriff’s department asked for help in several investigations and made a request for the public to enjoy the holiday responsibly. One of those cases involved the theft of a pickup and trailer from an oil field services yard Tuesday.

Niles’ department located the truck and trailer, which was stolen from Superior Casing in North Enid. They were found in different locations.

North Enid Police Officer Rick Dominic said his department has made progress in identifying a suspect.

“Of course, the investigation’s ongoing so we’re not really ready to say anything,” he said.

The thief stole about $150,000 worth of equipment and only $80,000 has been recovered, Dominc said.

“One of their employees drove by and saw the gate open at the yard and they called 911, and the rest is history,” he added. “It looks like it’s a solvable deal. There’s just some big equipment that’s still out.”

The truck had a GPS unit that allowed authorities to catch up to it quickly.

“If you don’t have GPS tracking on your vehicle, it’s not that expensive to buy the module and stick it on there,” he said.

On Thursday, Douglas Fire Department reported a burglary that apparently happened the night before.

“Entry had been made into the building and some equipment was stolen. That is an ongoing investigation,” Niles said.

He would not identify what was stolen from the department.

“I prefer not to at this time because it is of a sensitive nature,” he said.

Even though the Fourth of July is over, Niles’ department still is cognizant of the threats a holiday weekend brings. His deputies had numerous calls for fires and improper fireworks activities.

“We are concerned with the fact that it’s the weekend and people going out and popping fireworks. It is dry and it does not take much, especially with the wind blowing,” he said. “Even though it looks green, it’s still going to burn.”

People are forbidden to use fireworks outside city limits on any property that is not their own.

“And even then, you can be held liable for any damages that you create to other peoples’ property,” Niles said.

Text Only
Local and State News
News Photos

Enid News & Eagle photos taken throughout February 2014. Enjoy full-access all ENE photos at