The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

February 1, 2013

Man pleads guilty in shooting, gets 10-year suspended sentence

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

— A man charged in connection with a shooting last year pleaded guilty to an alternative charge in the case this week.

Jeremy Edward Jenkins, also known as Jeremy Smart, was charged with shooting with intent to kill, or in the alternative, assault and battery with a deadly weapon in the Oct. 4 incident.

He was set for a preliminary hearing Wednesday, but pleaded guilty to the charge of assault and battery with a deadly weapon and received a 10-year suspended sentence, online court records show.

Jenkins will undergo two years of supervision by Department of Corrections, pay court and jail costs, pay $50 to the victims compensation fund and pay a $150 DNA fee.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Enid Police Department responded to reports of shots fired at 11:38 p.m. Oct. 4, 2012, at 1510 E. Broadway.

Officers learned Jeffery Holt had been shot in the face and taken to St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center, and was awaiting transport to an Oklahoma City hospital.

Detective Mark Pettus spoke with a woman who lived at the apartments on East Broadway.

The woman said Holt knocked on her door, trying to get inside, but she refused to let him in, according to an affidavit. She said she took her child into another room of the apartment, when she heard a struggle and a gunshot come from the hallway.

Detective Tim Doyle spoke with Emmitt Brock, who said he and Jenkins went to 1510 E. Broadway knowing Holt was there.

Brock said he had a gun under the console of his pickup, and when they arrived, Jenkins must have grabbed the gun, according to the affidavit. He said Jenkins confronted Holt about some money Holt owed him. Holt reached for what Brock believed was a knife clipped in his pocket, and Jenkins pointed the gun at Holt, according to the affidavit.

Brock said Holt leaned into the gun and told Jenkins he wasn’t going to shoot, and at that point they got into a struggle, according to the affidavit. Brock said he was watching another man who was with Holt when he heard a gunshot.

Brock said he went to his pickup, and Jenkins followed him, according to the affidavit. He said they drove to his residence, and Jenkins still had the gun, a black Rossi .357 magnum. Brock said he would not let Jenkins in his residence and was not sure where he went.