The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

January 31, 2013

Oller arraigned on 1st-degree manslaughter charge

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A 41-year-old Enid man charged in the hit-and-run death of a woman last week was arraigned Thursday on two felony charges.

Anthony Michael “Mike” Oller appeared via video from Garfield County Detention Facility.

Oller was arraigned on felony counts of first-degree manslaughter and leaving the scene of a fatality accident, both filed after former conviction, and misdemeanor charge of driving with license suspended.

Oller also was arraigned on two applications to revoke suspended sentences, for felony cases filed in 2007 and 2008.

He faces 20 years to life in prison on the manslaughter charge, and three years to life on the charge of leaving the scene of a fatality accident.

Attorney Robert Gregory, who appeared with Oller Thursday, waived formal reading of the charges and entered a plea of not guilty. Gregory asked Special District Judge Brian Lovell to reduce Oller’s bond or release him on his own recognizance. Bond previously was set at $100,000.

“I think an O.R. bond or much lower bond will be appropriate,” Gregory said, stating he’d known Oller and his family for years. “This defendant will appear.”

Assistant District Attorney Irene Asai objected to bond being lowered, and notified the court two applications to revoke sentences had been filed due to the new charges.

“The defendant is charged with first-degree manslaughter,” she said. “That is an 85 percent crime. These are serious offenses. One hundred thousand dollars is, the state believes, more than fair and is a minimal bond.”

Asai requested bond on the applications be set at $50,000 apiece.

Lovell reduced Oller’s bond on the newest charges to $50,000 and set bond on the applications at $25,000 each, for a total of $100,000.

Oller was ordered to return to court Feb. 11 for appearances on the applications, and Feb. 25 for a bond appearance on the newest charges.

Oller, 41, was formally charged Tuesday in the Jan. 22 death of Mary Ward, 38.

According to an affidavit filed in Oller’s case, officers responded to a 911 call of an accident involving great bodily injury at 8:26 p.m., in the 1300 block of South Van Buren. The caller told police the vehicle and driver involved in the collision fled the scene.

A woman who was southbound on Van Buren told police a truck had passed her, and she saw a woman standing on the east side of the yellow line of the turn lane. She said she saw the truck hit the woman, and the woman was thrown into the air, landing in front of the truck, according to the affidavit. She said the truck ran over the woman, turned east and left the scene. The woman said she did not see the driver of the truck.

Sgt. Justin Hodges spoke with Oller’s father, Steve Oller, at the scene of the collision.

Steve Oller told police his son was driving the truck involved in the accident, and said it was behind Buck’s Party Shop, according to the affidavit. Steve Oller told police his son had been drinking and admitted to hitting a person on South Van Buren, and asked him to take the blame by telling police he thought he struck a dog.

When police spoke with Oller, he told them his father was driving the truck and had struck a dog, according to the affidavit. Police described Anthony Oller as having bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and a strong odor of intoxicant at the time.

Go to to view documents related to the case.