The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

December 13, 2012

Enid man receives 25-year sentence for indecent acts

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — An Enid man pleaded no contest Thursday to two felony charges and was ordered to serve a 25-year sentence.

Derek Nicholas Washington pleaded no contest to counts of lewd or indecent acts to a child under 16 and indecent exposure.

He was ordered to serve eight years of the 25-year sentence, with the rest of the sentence suspended, for the child sexual abuse.

He also was sentenced to eight years imprisonment on the indecent exposure charge, to be served concurrently with his other sentence.

Washington also must pay court costs, $50 to the victim compensation fund, a $150 DNA fee, $6,476 in jail costs and $1,010 in restitution. He will receive credit for time already served.

According to affidavits filed in the cases, Enid Police Department was contacted Jan. 12 in reference to the sexual assault of a 10-year-old girl the day before.

The girl told police Washington had touched her “private” while she was sleeping. The girl said she woke up twice to Washington touching her.

When police asked Washington about the allegations, he denied touching the girl, but said he was at the house at the same time as her.

On Jan. 16, Detective John Robinson interviewed Washington at the police department.

Again, Washington admitted to being at the home, but denied touching the girl. He told Robinson he was very drunk and could not recall what happened.

On Jan. 26, Robinson received a call asking him to contact one of Washington’s friends.

When Robinson called the woman, she said Washington had called her and confessed to what happened with the 10-year-old girl. She also said Washington told her he touched the girl when no one was in the room.

The woman called Washington with Robinson listening. During the call, Washington admitted to touching the girl.

On Nov. 30, 2011, police received a report of a man exposing himself to a 9-year-old girl.

The girl told police she was in the toy aisle of a store when a man exposed himself to her.

Using video surveillance and a transaction number from the store’s register, police determined the man was Washington. However, there was no video of the toy aisle of the store.

Officer Jacob McKinley spoke with Washington Dec. 30, 2011, and asked if he had gone to the store Nov. 30.

Washington said he did not remember if he went to the store. McKinley told him he had because of surveillance video and because Washington used his welfare card at the store that day.

McKinley told Washington he’d been caught on camera exposing himself to a little girl, and Washington began shaking and was “barely able to hold onto his cigarette,” according to the affidavit.

McKinley asked Washington if he had done this, and Washington said he drinks sometimes and must have been drunk that day.

He said he blacks out sometimes when he drinks. McKinley again asked him if he exposed himself to a girl, and Washington again replied he did not remember.