Retired Garber Public Schools teacher Warren Dell easily won the Ward 2 City Council seat Tuesday, defeating incumbent Patricia Berry.
Dell polled 120 votes to 13 for Berry, receiving 90.2 percent of the vote.
Dell said the big issues for him were water and finding — and keeping — a police officer. Neither issue is a new one, he said, but needed to be dealt with and continually monitored.
A new water treatment plant is going in, and the town has applied for a CDBG grant for work on water lines. The treatment plant will remove carbon tetrachloride and nitrates from municipal water, which has been a problem for some time.
The town hasn’t been able to keep a police officer for more than a few months, Dell said. He said he understands it always will be a stepping-stone job, but he’d like to see some stability.
Berry has been on the board for more than nine years and served more than four as mayor.
In Covington, Donald Kaiser and Neil R. Kirk won four-year seats on the board of trustees.
Kaiser polled 44 votes, to 31 for Kirk. Incumbent Sherry Sterling received 21 votes. Sterling has been on the board since 2007.
Kirk was appointed to the board in October to fill an unexpired term and decided to run for a full term.
He said his main issue is seeing that day-to-day services are provided, pointing out having a volunteer fire department, police service, water and streets.
Kaiser has not served before and said his biggest issues are cleaning up some of the properties in town and hiring a police officer so the town will have a law enforcement officer again.
Other results in northwest Oklahoma, according to the Oklahoma State Election Board, were:
• Cherokee treasurer — Kryslyn Packard defeated Esther Lingemann by a vote of 86-30.
• Carmen Board of Trustees (unexpired term, two will serve) — Ronald Kephart and Elias Stonehocker won the seats, polling 74 and 72 votes, respectively. Nancy Oldham received 39 votes.
• Jet Board of Trustees (two will serve) — Matt Morris and Lindeen Evans won the seats, with 44 and 43 votes, respectively. Diane Rene Christine received 40 votes.
• Jet Board of Trustees (unexpired term) — Nina Britain won the seat, beating Wanda Gray 42-35.
• Jet town clerk-treasurer (unexpired term) — Stephanie L. Carson won the post, beating Donna S. Keller 44-34.