The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Local and State News

December 24, 2012

Transition plan made available for NORCE

ENID, Okla. — An action plan for Northern Oklahoma Resource Center of Enid and Southern Oklahoma Resource Center issued by Oklahoma Department of Human Services (available HERE) describes the transition for the closing of SORC April 30, 2014, and NORCE Aug. 31, 2015.

Those dates are the latest times the two facilities may remain open.

The transition of residents of both facilities into community-based homes will be a gradual process, and buildings will be closed at projected dates up to the deadline, according to a transition plan presented to parents and guardians of residents and obtained by the Enid News & Eagle.

Individual transition plans will be developed for each person based on individual needs. They will be moved only when services and support are in place following a review from Oklahoma Department of Human Services’ Office of Client Advocacy.

Each resident and his or her family or guardian will be assigned a case manager who will work with and guide them through the transition process, according to the plan.

Case managers will meet with every resident and family. Depending on the decisions made, clients and their families will need to make a number of other choices involving the selection of roommates, houses and service providers. Case managers can help coordinate services and help with decision-making about where they live, who they live with and other life decisions.

If the residents and family or guardians decide to live in a part of the state where services are not available, they will be advised of alternative areas where services are available.

Community living homes reportedly will be designed to meet the demands of residents, the information said. Transportation will be provided if required, and homes will be modified to meet accessibility needs and adaptive equipment provided, including medical supplies and incontinence supplies. Each resident will have a physician and a dentist. Hospital services are provided when needed. Therapies often are provided in the home.

For those with significant medical needs, three or four individuals will share a home that has 24-hour staffing, including nursing. Families and guardians will decide together to select a provider of residential services. Typically, staff will include a nurse to work each shift. Day programs are provided outside the home based on the residents’ abilities, needs and interests.

Those who have significant needs, but do not require significant nursing, may be served in a comprehensive support home, which is staffed 24 hours a day. Typically, three to four people share a home. Increased staffing may be provided based on need if circumstances support it, the document said. A variety of day programs are provided outside the home based on needs.

A specialized home is selected when there is a need for nutritionists, home health nurse, occupational therapist, speech or physical therapist. Necessary medical supplies and equipment are provided though a community waiver included in the care plan. The plan is reviewed annually, or more often if needed.

There are a number of adult day services and employment opportunities for those who are able to work. A number of sheltered workshops may provide subcontract work or training.

Text Only
Local and State News
News Photos

Enid News & Eagle photos taken throughout February 2014. Enjoy full-access all ENE photos at