The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

November 18, 2013

Man pleads no contest to domestic abuse

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News & Eagle

ENID, Okla. — An 18-year-old Enid man pleaded no contest Monday to amended misdemeanor charges of domestic abuse and was given a two-year deferred sentence.

Alexander Aguilar entered his plea to the reduced charges.

He initially was charged May 1 with felony counts of domestic assault and battery by strangulation, assault with a deadly weapon and domestic assault and battery against a pregnant woman, a misdemeanor.

The felony charge of assault and battery by strangulation was reduced to a misdemeanor, and the charge of assault with a deadly weapon was dismissed.

Aguilar was sentenced to a two-year deferred sentence and ordered to pay court costs, $30 to the victims compensation fund and $260 jail costs. He also was ordered to undergo a domestic violence assessment and follow the resulting recommendations.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Enid Police Department officers responded at 5:59 p.m. May 18 to Jumbo Foods on Willow on a report of domestic abuse after the fact.

Officer Thomas Rhyne spoke with a woman who said she was four months pregnant and her boyfriend, Aguilar, had beaten her up and tried to kill her unborn baby.

She said she’d gone to his apartment at Hunter’s Hills earlier to spend time with him.

She said Aguilar became upset when he learned she was talking to another guy, who was just a friend. The woman said Aguilar grabbed her by the face, putting his hand over her nose and mouth, preventing her from breathing, according to the affidavit.

She said he kept her from breathing for about 30 seconds. She said Aguilar then told her he was going to kill the baby and then her, according to the affidavit. She said Aguilar got her on the ground and began hitting and kicking her. She said he kicked her in the abdomen multiple times. Aguilar also attacked her with scissors before she was able to get away and run across the street to the store, according to the affidavit.

Rhyne noted in his affidavit the woman had a bruised left eye, and other red marks and scratches on her face, as well as bloodied lips. She also had scratches and bruises on both arms and red marks on her stomach and legs.