The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

September 12, 2013

Enid woman charged with child abuse

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A 24-year-old Enid woman is facing a possible life sentence after being charged with child abuse.

Katie Chantelle Knight was arraigned Thursday on the felony, which is punishable by up to life in prison or a year in county jail and/or a fine of $500 to $5,000.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Enid police responded to an 8:09 p.m. call Sept. 3 reporting a case of child abuse.

Officer Aaron Barber arrived and  spoke with a man who was outside with his children and said he came home to find his daughter in the corner with bruises, according to the affidavit. The man also told Barber he believed his girlfriend, Knight, had choked his daughter.

The father also said Knight told him she had grabbed for the girl’s shirt, but accidentally grabbed her neck and “swatted” the girl with a belt, according to the affidavit.

Barber noted in the affidavit the girl, whose age was not listed in court documents, had a bruise near her hairline, red marks and bruising above her collar bone and along the base of her neck. He asked the girl what happened and she said, “Katie did it.”

Barber asked Knight what happened and she said, “I lost it,” according to the affidavit. She said she grabbed the girl by the neck and spanked her with a belt. Knight then was placed under arrest.

Barber again spoke with the girl’s father, and he said Knight was with the children from 3:30 to 7 p.m. Barber began photographing the girl’s injuries, and the father also showed him where she had red marks on her buttocks.

The girl’s sister told Barber that Knight has pushed her sister down in the bedroom and that is how she got the bruise on her forehead, according to the affidavit.

During an interview with Barber at the police station, Knight said she’d been having a bad day and was “stressed out” when the girls came home from school, according to the affidavit. She said she asked the girl about a pack of Crayons she found in her backpack ad the girl refused to tell where and when she got them.

Knight said she asked over and over but lost her temper and meant to grab the girl by the shirt but grabbed her neck, according to the affidavit. Barber noted the girl was wearing a tank top and if Knight’s story were true, the girl would have marks on her chest and not her neck.

Barber asked Knight how long she grabbed the girl’s throat and she initially said she did not know, but then said probably 45 seconds, according to the affidavit. Barber asked if there was any other discipline toward the girl and Knight said she couldn’t remember “because she was so mad she blacked out.”

Knight said she put the girl in the corner and she kept coming out. She told girl she was going to get swats and grabbed a belt, according to the affidavit. She said the girl laughed and that made her more mad. She said she swatted the girl three times on the backside, according to the affidavit.

Barber asked how the girl got the bruise on her forehead, and Knight said she did not remember.

Knight is being held in lieu of $7,500 bond and was ordered to return to court Oct. 28 for a bond appearance.