The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

March 21, 2013

Brownfields seminar funding economic development slated Wednesday at Convention Hall

By James Neal, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — A free seminar on funding economic development and revitalization through brownfields will held Wednesday at Convention Hall.

According to the Center for Hazardous Substance Research (CHSR) at Kansas State University, brownfields are properties on which development or reuse “may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant.”

Brownfields typically are abandoned or underutilized industrial or commercial sites available for redevelopment.

Redeveloping or repurposing brownfields requires compliance with applicable regulations under the Environmental Protection Agency and Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality.

Kansas State University, through CHSR and its Technical Assistance to Brownfields program, will host Wednesday’s seminar to provide information on available funding for and means to redevelop brownfields within EPA and ODEQ guidelines.

The free seminar will be 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Convention Hall. Lunch will be served to attendees. Walk-ins will be accepted, but pre-registration by Monday is requested in order to provide a head count for lunch.

To pre-register, email name, organization, address, phone number and email address to

Registration the day of the event will be 9:30-10 a.m., followed by a welcome and introductions.

Presentations will be given by representatives from the KSU Technical Assistance to Brownfields program, EPA, ODEQ, USDA and the Center for Creative Land Recycling.

A presentation also will be given by Robert Dixson, mayor of Greensburg, Kan.

The town of Greensburg has committed to green and sustainable reconstruction after a May 2007 EF5 tornado destroyed 95 percent of the town and severely damaged the remainder.

A question-and-answer session and one-on-one consultations will be offered after the day’s presentations.

For information on brownfields assistance go to