The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

January 9, 2014

Man faces 4 years to life for fight, bar stabbing

By Cass Rains, Staff Writer
Enid News and Eagle

ENID, Okla. — An Enid man arrested Tuesday morning following a fight and stabbing at an Enid bar is facing four years to life in prison after being charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

William Neil Mitchell, 33, was arraigned Thursday on the felony charge. Because of three prior felony convictions Mitchell faces a possible life sentence.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Enid Police Department officers responded at 1:56 a.m. Tuesday to a report of a fight and possible stabbing at Lucky’s Pub, 1314 S. Van Buren.

Officers Cody Smith and Lee Frisendahl arrived at the bar and found a 28-year-old man sitting in a chair with blood on his face and blood running down into his shirt. A bartender was holding a white towel to the left side of man’s neck. When she removed the towel, Smith noted seeing a cut just below the man’s ear.

Smith asked the man who cut him, and the man said he did not know the man’s name. The bartender said the man is a regular at the bar and is known as William.

A bar patron gave police a description of Mitchell, which was broadcast to other law enforcement officers in the area.

The bar patron told police Mitchell and the 28-year-old got into a verbal confrontation that led outside. The patron said the two fought and he heard the man yell that Mitchell had a knife, according to the affidavit.

The patron said when the fight was broken up Mitchell ran north from the bar. He said he also noticed the 28-year-old had been stabbed.

Smith spoke with the man at Integris Bass Baptist Health Center where he was receiving treatment for his injuries. The man received six stitches on his neck and three staples on the top of his head.

The man told Smith Mitchell said something to him at the bar and as he was walking out Mitchell followed him out the door. He said the next thing he knew Mitchell was hitting him, according to the affidavit. He said when they stopped fighting he noticed he had been stabbed in the neck.

Sgt. Kevin Bezdicek located Mitchell in the 1300 block of Ritchie with blood on his face, head, neck, shirt, coat and hands. Bezdicek found a folding pocket knife in Mitchell’s front pants pocket that had blood on the blade, according to the affidavit.

Mitchell told the sergeant he just left Lucky’s Pub and had been in a fight. He said he got into a verbal argument with a man he did not know and they agreed to go outside and fight.

Mitchell said he had the knife that was in his pocket in his hand when they went outside. Mitchell indicated he was using it as a “hardener” for his fist, according to the affidavit. Mitchell said he did not recall what happened after that.

Mitchell told police he did not remember stabbing anyone but could have, according to the affidavit.