The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Local and State News

December 31, 2013

2013 goes out blazing

ENID, Okla. — It was a fiery end to 2013 for Enid Fire Department firefighters, after they responded to more than a half dozen fires Tuesday afternoon.

The string of fires began at 3:03 p.m. with a structure fire at the corner of Ponca and Beverly.

Fire Marshal Ken Helms said the cause of the fire appears to be a cigarette that had not been properly discarded.

“I think that’s the most likely cause,”  he said.

The garage of the home was a complete loss as fire destroyed it and the attic space above it. Heat damage was done to a kitchen window next to the garage and some smoke damage was caused inside the home.

Helms said there were no injuries to those inside when the fire began. The family declined Red Cross assistance.

While firefighters were on scene at the Beverly fire, another fire was reported at 3:53 p.m. at 2226 E. Cypress.

A motor home parked behind a house had caught fire, most likely due to overloaded extension cords.

Helms said someone was living in the motor home but was not inside the vehicle when the fire began.

Before 5 p.m., firefighters responded to the area of U.S. 412 and Oklahoma 132 for five separate grass fires in the area, most likely caused by a malfunctioning vehicle or something being dragged by a vehicle, such as a chain. Rural fire departments from Lahoma and Drummond also were called to the blazes.

“It was a busy afternoon,” Helms said.

1
Text Only
Local and State News
News Photos


Enid News & Eagle photos taken throughout February 2014. Enjoy full-access all ENE photos at http://enidnews.smugmug.com