Enid News and Eagle
Roberts Ranch Smokin Red Dirt BBQ
If you’re craving some barbecue, make sure to check out the eighth annual Roberts Ranch Smokin Red Dirt BBQ this weekend.
Participants will have an opportunity to sample award-winning barbecue from all over the region, as well as participate in several events in conjunction with the barbecue.
The schedule for the weekend is as follows:
• 10 a.m.: Student art show, Junior Ballroom.
• 3 p.m.: Booth vendors open, Grand Ballroom.
• 4-6:30 p.m.: Pelagic Tank KidsQ, cook sites on South Independence. Children will have an opportunity to barbecue and compete for prizes. Awards will be handed out at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
• 5 p.m.: Free barbecue pulled pork sandwiches, Cherokee and Independence. Sponsored by Roberts Ranch and National Pork Board. While supplies last.
• 6-7 p.m.: Maria Rae’s & Cookshack People’s Choice, downtown. The public can visit participating barbecue contestants and sample ribs and sides, then vote on their favorite. Tickets are $7 and available at Enid News & Eagle, 227 W. Broadway, or the information booth at Cherokee and Independence.
• 6-7 p.m.: Free swing dance lessons, Grand Ballroom.
• 7-10 p.m.: Doc Bryant’s Big Band Orchestra feat. Kyle Dillingham, Grand Ballroom.
• 10 a.m.: Student art show, Junior Ballroom. Also, Garfield County Domestic Task Force’s “Day without Violence,” which includes children’s activities and games.
• 11 a.m.: Ambuc BBQ Dinner, Grand Ballroom. Dinner includes pulled pork, beans, slaw, pickle, roll, cake and tea or water. Tickets $7 in advance from the Enid News & Eagle, or $8 at the door.
• 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: CatFink performance, Grand Ballroom.
• 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Magician Chris Capstone performs, Grand Ballroom.
• Noon: Official barbecue judging begins.
• 2 p.m.: Enid Noon AMBUCS $1,000 Cash Drawing.
• 3:30 p.m.: Awards ceremony, including prizes for People’s Choice and KidsQ winners.
‘Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp’
10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday
Gaslight Theatre, 221 N. Independence
Gaslight’s Childrens Theatre will present “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp” this weekend.
In the play, an evil magician tries to trick Aladdin with a magical lamp containing a genie. Aladdin is able to outwit him, and has the genie turn him into the prince, which allows him to take the princess as his wife.
Children’s Theatre pricing is $5 for those 12 and over, $3 for ages 2-12 and free for those under 2.
For more information or to buy tickets, go to gaslighttheatre.org, or call (580) 234-2307.
This Week April 19-25
Dr. Joe Bryant & Jazz Orchestra feat. Kyle Dillingham, 7 p.m., Convention Hall, 301 S. Independence. Dance to the big band sounds of Dr. Joe Bryant, trumpet player, his jazz orchestra, and special guest Kyle Dillingham. For more information, call (580) 548-8146.
Railfest, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Garfield County Fairgrounds Pavilion. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children. Event presented by Cherokee Strip Model Railroad Association. For more information, call (580) 478-2631.
Walking Tours of Historical Downtown Enid, 10 a.m., downtown Enid. Residents can visit historical sites around downtown Enid, where real live characters will give presentations about their characters’ history. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children, and reservations must be made in advance. For reservations, call (580) 242-2233.
Next Week April 26-May 2
THEATER [April 25 and Friday]
‘The Wiz,’ 7:30 p.m., Enid High School, 611 W. Wabash. Enid High students will bring the retelling of the “Wizard of Oz” story to life in the school’s newly remodeled auditorium. Tickets are $7 for adults and $3 for students. For more information, call (580) 234-2404.
Enid Home Show, 2-8 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Chisholm Trail Expo Center, 111 W. Purdue. Admission is $3 at the door. Children 12 and under are free. Vendors presenting products and services will be on hand, as well as trade experts. For more information, call (580) 234-3549.
‘Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp,’ 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday, Gaslight Theatre, 221 N. Independence. Children theater pricing is in effect: 12 and over are $4, 2-12 are $2 and under 2 are free. For more information, call (580) 234-2307.
In Two Weeks May 3-9
National Scrapbook Day, 6 p.m. to midnight Friday, 10 a.m. to midnight Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 pm. Sunday, One Page at a Time, 112 N. Independence. Cost is $45. For more information, call (580) 242-2767.
First Friday, 6 p.m., downtown Enid. Local shops will be open extra late hours and some will host musical performances and special events. For more information, find First Friday Enid on Facebook.
Retro Theater Movie Showings: ‘Singin’ in the Rain,’ ‘Casablanca,’ ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ and ‘Psycho,’ Convention Hall, 301 S. Independence. The first two movies will be shown beginning at 6:30 p.m. Friday and the second two will be shown starting at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call (580) 402-4904.